Planning Permission for dish size??

Curly

Inactive User
Reaction score
In between Bro and Mairyhinge. Hold that thought..
Can somebody in the know give me a definite maximum size of dish that doesn't need planning permission?

I've seen posts on here that say 1.1M and others that say 90cm

I've googled it and also found different figures.

Basically, I've had a complaint from a neighbour regarding my dish, and before she goes sniffleing to the council I want to get my facts straight.

My dish is 1M diameter. I've put it out of sight as best I can and it's also the same colour as it's background (grey slates)

If someone has an up to date link to some legal definition, that would be great.

Curly

I think it may depend on your location. Some local authorities seem to be much more restrictive than others.

It may also depend on exactly where you site the dish. I seem to remember there are different rules regarding dishes mounted on a building (mounting height is also an issue) as opposed to free-standing dishes

Can somebody in the know give me a definite maximum size of dish that doesn't need planning permission?

I've seen posts on here that say 1.1M and others that say 90cm

I've googled it and also found different figures.

Basically, I've had a complaint from a neighbour regarding my dish, and before she goes sniffleing to the council I want to get my facts straight.

My dish is 1M diameter. I've put it out of sight as best I can and it's also the same colour as it's background (grey slates)

If someone has an up to date link to some legal definition, that would be great.

Curly

tell her to stop being a nosey coont and she may not notice it next time

Phone up your council and tell them you're thinking of putting one up (don't need to tell them your name or anything). They'll give you the corredct information. Where I live you can have a 1m and 60cm.

for england and wales its a main dish of no more than 1.1M diameter AND a second one fo 60cm before any form of planning permission is needed, it used to be a maximum of one dish up to 90cm, but due to digital switchover, and numerous complaints from foreign ex-pats who wanted telly from home, the CAI, RDI, digital-uk and the department of planning re-wrote the rules nearly 2 years ago

here is the latest for england m8, it states one dish of 1M AND one of 60cm

print it out on cardboard, roll it into a tube, and beat your neighbour to death with it lol

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315236540.html

Houses and buildings up to 15 metres high

Unless your house (or the building in which you live) is in a designated area, you do not need to apply for planning permission to install an antenna on your property, as long as:

* there will be no more than two antennas on the property overall. (These may be on the front or back of the building, on the roof, attached to the chimney, or in the garden);
* if you are installing a single antenna, it is not more than 100 centimetres in any linear dimension (b) (not including any projecting feed element (c), reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);
* if you are installing two antennas, one is not more than 100 centimetres in any linear dimension, and the other is not more than 60 centimetres in any linear dimension (not including any projecting feed element, reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);
* the cubic capacity (d) of each individual antenna is not more than 35 litres;
* an antenna fitted onto a chimney stack is not more than 60 centimetres in any linear dimension; and
* an antenna mounted on the roof only sticks out above the roof when there is a chimney-stack. In this case, the antenna should not stick out more than 60 centimetres above the highest part of the roof, or above the highest part of the chimney stack, whichever is lower.

b. Linear dimension: This means taking the measurement in a straight line, starting from the edge of the antenna to the opposite edge of the antenna. The measurement should only include the antenna itself and not any attachment needed to fix it to the wall or roof, or connect it up to your equipment.

c. Projecting feed element: In a dish antenna, the incoming signals are received by the dish which then ‘reflects’ the signal into a central ‘feed horn’. This is usually positioned at a short distance (a few inches) away from the dish and held in place by projecting arm or arms.

d. cubic capacity: This means the volume (the amount of in 3 dimensions) occupied by an object using known method of measurement.

Last edited:
I think Davie's right....

I remember having a conversation bout this with digidude ages ago and Im sure he said that you can have 2 dishes on your house without need for planning permission provided that :

the larger dish is no bigger than 1mtre (possibly increased to 1.1m now ?) and the smaller dish is no bigger than 60cm - im sure he'll confirm if this is still the case (obviously this does not apply if you're in eg a National park area)

[tell her to stop being a nosey coont and she may not notice it next time/QUOTE] when he has a mo...

take bro's advice and threaten to put another one up......

just thought id point out this bit

b. Linear dimension: This means taking the measurement in a straight line, starting from the edge of the antenna to the opposite edge of the antenna. The measurement should only include the antenna itself and not any attachment needed to fix it to the wall or roof, or connect it up to your equipment.

as the majority of satellite dishes arent exactly round (most are egg shaped) when you buy a 1M dish its normally 1M from top to bottom, but only 85cm from left to right, this is why a 1.1M dish can be used as the maximum WITHOUT planning permission, as if someone does want to measure it theyll measuer it across as its easier, meaning most 1.1M dishes will be less than 1M

except

if you have a pear shaped dish like bert1 thats sold as 90cm, but measures 85cm high and 1.12m with a 2nd dish infront of it to really confuse things lol

just to piss her off id put another one up, and 3 in the garden lmao

Thanks for the replies guys.
The woman in question doesn't even live adjoining me, but diagonal, back to back with my next door neighbour.
The guy back to back with me and next door to the silly cow isn't bothered at all.
He suggested painting an arse on the back of the dish, and each time she's in the garden I should select Thor and "moon at her" lol
I think I'll just wait for the inevitable knock on the door from the council.

Curly

Perhaps it’s not the size of your dish that she’s unhappy with …
It’s what you do with it …
You watching red hot Dutch for the past week with the curtains open may have something to do with it
:proud:

Perhaps it’s not the size of your dish that she’s unhappy with …
It’s what you do with it …
You watching red hot Dutch for the past week with the curtains open may have something to do with it
:proud:

pmsl........what curtains?? You may have a point lol

Even her husband isn't bothered. His only question about it was "can that thing get the Liverpool game on it??"

I spoke to the council this morning just to doube check things.
The planning officer said that I can apply for a certificate of conformity if I wish. Only £150 :wtf:

My main worry is that I have no faith at all in Bolton council.
I'm not confident about explaining the finer details of the Clarke belt to a representative an organisation who can't even deliver my feckin wheelie bin!!

Curly

Last edited:
Hi Guys

I have the same problem! In the good old D2mac days, i
had a 1.6 mtr at the back of the garage on a tripod and
the the guy at the back had no problem with it. I got shut
of all my gear about 5 years ago. Then i started up again
last year and put up a 80cm, which was bolted to the back
of the garage. Before i put it up, the guy at the back died
and new people moved in. Then the old witch at the back
said she did not like it, as she could see it from her dining
room. He was o\k. Meanwhile they asked all the other
neighbours and us if they could grow some bushes to the
height of my garage. We all agreed, as i worked out that
at 30 degree,s i would get a signal. Then she started and
i put up a 1mtr instead, so she said, they,ll keep the bushes
growing higher. So i told her that when i get no signal i
will put the dish under the bedroom wall and she will see
it even more. Well now, when its windy on certain sats the
bushes blow over and i get an odd flicker on screen. So
guess what ???? The rig is going up on the house wall
very shortly and that will pi*s her off even more. Am i
bothered ??

Fezzy

Ive always wondered if its the noise from the motor that really annoys the neighbours and not the dish size. So far Ive had no problems with my neighbours ....90cm gregorian dish though so not much they can do.

Curly

bolton council has NO mention of planning permission required anywhere on its own website http://www.bolton.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=147,1&_dad=portal92&_schema=PORTAL92

from this you can either go with the assumption that bolton council has no objections to a satellite dish of ANY size beign erected within its area, which by them failing to give any limitations outside of the whole of englands government planning regulations you could argue and win, or they could say that they dont need a seperate description as the main governmental proposals cover it for them

either way there is NOTHING that your neighbour, or anyone from the council, can do to make you take it down, unless its over a public footpath and installed dangerously and could fall on a member of the public

put up another 60cm one, paint it like a big eye or camera lense, and point it right at her house m8 lol

.....put up another 60cm one, paint it like a big eye or camera lense, and point it right at her house m8 lol
This is exactly what i would do too. Make sure the 2nd dish looks directly into her garden, then say you are watching her and taking an interest -just as she seems to be taking an interest in what you do at your property. I'm 100% that if a neighbour complained about a dish of mine i'd make sure they got the message they can F&*K RIGHT OFF. I might not like their big gas guzzler 4x4, or whatever, but i'm sure they'd have something similar to say (FRO) if i told them so.

just out of interest m8, does the woman who's moaning have a dish at all? or even a TV aerial on her chimney?

Hi

The guy who died, had a sky dish, bolted to the side of the
bungalow, when they moved in, they took it down. Yes they
have a ariel on the chimney pot. Our street of semi,s back
onto a street of bungalows. Since my last word with them
they,ve said nowt.

Fezzy

Back