Piracy....

No option to sit on the fence with this poll, you must choose.....

• piracy should exist, its fair

Votes: 109 96.5%
  • piracy should be stamped out, its unfair

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

pinkhelmets

Inactive User
Reaction score
This poll applies to all media piracy in general- CD ; music ; Video ; DVD ; computer games ; TV signals ; Cable/satellite encryption ; software etc etc

There are 2 sides to every arguement, even piracy. Which side of the fence do you sit?

Reasons FOR piracy

Piracy takes from the rich and gives to the poor
Its relatively a victimless crime
Law & religion is never 'black or white', piracy is not exactly the same as theft
Forced competition - Cost of music CD's is just one example of evidence that piracy does force reduced retail prices
The rights-owner does not lose income because people would still make a choice to not pay retail price and go without
The loss of industry revenue also does not apply because it's based on presumption that people would buy officially (which they might not)
Many businesses survive purely to combat piracy, creating jobs & industry (shares-profit-tax-investment-etc), plus forces technology advances
Consumers final product cost would not be less, the profits would just be higher
Without piracy the monopolistic power-companies would 'rip-off' consumers
The worlds rich would possibly be the only ones to benefit good work or ideas
Prices would not be reduced (simple economics supply/demand fact)

Reasons AGAINST piracy

Dick Turpin was a thief, comparable to a mugger
The rights owner loses deserved income & profit, its not victimless
Stealing is a religious fundamental- thou shalt not steal
Its universally regarded as theft, pure and simple. Its a criminal act enforced & punishable by law
Blackmarket money, underground activity, helps fund criminal activity
It is not socially acceptable since it is dishonest
Loss of revenue & income means reduced industry
Income can be gained from someone elses hard work or ideas, thats immoral
Legitimate consumers have to pay more to cover anti-piracy costs & business loss
Law abiding citizens can easily be tricked or pursueded into piracy
Retail Prices could be reduced

========Do you totally support piracy, or are you horrified that piracy continues?

As you say, there are 2 sides to piracy.

Say I invented a product and wanted to make money, and i distributed it, i wouldnt want people pirating my music/software/product and making me lose money. BUT when i am ULTRA rich lol i would be fair and put a fair price on the product (considerably cheaper) and give people value for money unlike companies such as microsoft charging upto 350quid for a peice of software. even 500quid for their office suit. Thats totally unfair to consumers. They also obliterate any competition they might have.

therefore i have not voted for or against as there is more to it.

so does that mean that lower cost stuff should not be pirated, but higher cost stuff should be? Or purely a selfish- my stuff should not be but everyone elses should be? lol :)
In reality i feel it is a fact that lower cost stuff or good value stuff wont be targeted by pirates, so i'd say Devil666 you should choose- FOR since you are for piracy even if you have a certain level set.

lol .. what has dick turpin got to do with piracy?

so does that mean that lower cost stuff should not be pirated, but higher cost stuff should be? Or purely a selfish- my stuff should not be but everyone elses should be? lol :)
In reality i feel it is a fact that lower cost stuff or good value stuff wont be targeted by pirates, so i'd say Devil666 you should choose- FOR since you are for piracy even if you have a certain level set.

Thats a very fair point. :( you got me thinking now. This a good debate this.

..Ok what im saying is that piracy is wrong, and the reason it happens today is that these big companies are getting very greedy and the general public are standing up against them in the only way possible. They need the software for work, study etc but dont want to use it. If the windows operating system was £30, would you buy it? or would you pirate it?
Another example is MAC users. I have not come across one person that uses pirated software on a MAC. Everyone buys it.

This can be said for other everyday things such as tax, petrol prices, tv license and so on.Sometimes you can do something, other times you cant. It is a form of protest. I am not justifying piracy, merely giving a reason as there are no alternatives.

I've voted for, cos I do.

But the stuff I do download/get off mates I wouldn't buy anyway, esp 'watch once' films like Ultraviolet ;) Although the counter argument to that is to join Blockbuster!

There's a guy in my work downloads stuff purely to try before he buys. If he hears about a good album someone has brought out, he'll download it to see if he likes it, If he does, he buys it?

I.e. Supporting the efforts of the artist.

the thing you need to remember is the copyright owner is not losing out on revenue if the downloader never had any intention of buying the product in the first place :)

ask anyone who downloads a shitload of stuff what ones they would actually be willing to pay cash for and they would probably be stuck trying to think of some lol

i actually pay for apps i really like cos i believe in the try before you buy method mentioned above, i`m not into this to rip anyone off esp small software developers who deserve to get paid for their work

piracy

the people of this country have for years been ripped off by big business,paying well over the odds for the same goods and services that are available in other countries at much cheaper prices and the goverment that was voted in to put a stop to all this-allows it to happen-pardon my french,**** them all, if it can be pirated,pirate it and spread the knowledge[which of course is power].

That is one thing i hate. The propoganda that goes around here about piracy "piracy funds drug smuggling," "piracy funds people smuggling" like wtf where do you get this shit from?

piracy should exist, its fair

I don't think it's fair that piracy exists. Software developers are missing out on revenue because their software is being downloaded and cracked rather than bought.

piracy should be stamped out, it's unfair

I don't think piracy should be stamped out because, as said before, there are the kinds of developers that charge huge amounts for their products that the consumer feels is unreasonable.

If you can get it for free or at a reduced rate, people are going to go down that route instead of the proper channels. Unless they have a conscience!

:)

then under moral decision and comments above you should vote that it should be stamped out. lol
The fact that you feel there should be a way to stop developers or owners charging too much is irrelevant- thats a different job of laws & regulatory commisions etc.

I think it would be good if you make a choice, the idea of this poll was to purposely not have a middle ground- piracy is acceptably fair or not, simple :).

I believe we will be biased here on this forum, but does that mean we are all socially unaccepted and criminal here? Or perhaps we are forced to be seem criminal when a law is unfair?

if its cheap enough ill buy it, i cant remember the last time i bought an album or a dvd, i really cant

i did think about using a service like iTunes (and its the thought that counts lol) but as i havent got an iPod didnt even sign up lol

the way i see it is if it wasnt for the advent of the mp3 and "illegal" filesharing we'd all be paying £40 for an audio CD, so yayyyy for piracy.
£230 for a licensed copy of Vista Ultimate is a pure rip off, but they think they can get away with it cos they beleive it cant be cracked....think again lol.
If it was £100 i'd maybe consider payin for it but its £230 so im gonna give em f*ck all instead

£230 for a buggy exploitable OS lol. When you can download a secure bug-filled in less than an hour OS from many places. All Windows OS are buggy and Exploitable even when they say this one isnt

if sony and other companies didnt rip us all off for example the psp , regarding fw ware and actually unlocking the potentioal of the psp people would need to hack .
im in full support of hackers crackers and piricy
well done to all

Piracy will never and can never be stamped out. There will ALWAYS be someone trying to get something for nothing. It gives them a challenge to be told something is un-hackable or copy protected. If it wasn't for Pirates most of us on here would have nothing.

Businesses help keep the software companies going because they have to buy numerous licenses for different softwares and then prove they own the originals etc.

You can pick up a copy of Vista for less than £100, if you buy OEM. Heck, you could get a copy of XP or MCE with the free Vista upgrade for less than 80 notes and install them on separate machines!

I had the opportunity to get a legit copy Office 2003 for £17 through work and jumped for it, but previously my Office 2000 was a copy of a copy!

You can pick up a copy of Vista for less than £100, if you buy OEM. Heck, you could get a copy of XP or MCE with the free Vista upgrade for less than 80 notes and install them on separate machines!

I had the opportunity to get a legit copy Office 2003 for £17 through work and jumped for it, but previously my Office 2000 was a copy of a copy!

wheres the Vista Ultimate OEM for less than £100?

Back