Picture Quality - How to improve ?

ash213

Inactive User
Reaction score
I just bought myself a 32" HDTV to go with the dreambox, but wondering if any settings on the dreambox can be changed to improve the picture.

I currently hooking it up with a standard scart lead, is there any other lead i should purchase to improve the quality ? How about them HDMI cables, or whatever they are ? Cheers

HDMI cables are for HD equipment and the dreambox isn't.

You could use a scart to component (YUV/YPbPr) cable if your tv has a component input. The dreambox has the ability to output a component signal through the scart connection. Your colours will be crisper and objects will have a more defined edge to them, especially fast moving people like when watching football.

There is also a hardware modification you can do improve the RGB signal.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=93451

Also have a look at www.markgrantcables.co.uk and www.keene.co.uk

That's one yes. But at £4 I doubt it would be any good!

If you're going to spend a wad on a peachy new tv, what's the point in going to the £ shop for your cables?

Buy cables that you can afford. My component cables are of broadcast quality and it cost me £40 for 1 metre. Honestly, get a decent set of cables, it's cost you more in the long run trying all the inexpensive ones out first!

If you email the guy at markgrantcables he will make one up for you.

thanks for advice, but £40 is alot in my eyes dude !

If my TV cost £300 from poundstretchers then I wouldn't have spent that much either. But my cables were only 1% of what my tv cost! Like I said, spend as much as you can afford, cables are always overlooked but are just as important as the tv itself.

my tv was £400 mate, so dont wanna be spending too much on cables......!!

i also noticed the picture quality was a bit strange also. i got myself a hd ready tv 32" cost £340 brand new :p 2yr warenty on site as well

i got a gold scart - picture quality is good, but not as good as i expected, compared to playing a dvd.

as the quality on the dreambox can be blocky, as if the picture was streached from 640 x 480 to hd ???x768 :S

ill try using composite, but i know the tvs great, as dvds play lovely and look AMAZING, so must b the dreambox.

maybe the dm600 will be better? or a l8r image they can give us options???

You cannot compare a DVD with cable TV.
Where do you think the bitrate used at a dvd should be come from at a cable feed?
Lower bitrate means lower quality. A digital box is not able to conjure up a higher bitrate.

If my TV cost £300 from poundstretchers then I wouldn't have spent that much either. But my cables were only 1% of what my tv cost! Like I said, spend as much as you can afford, cables are always overlooked but are just as important as the tv itself.
yep totally agree you get what you pay 4 ;)

You do get what u paid for, but take it from me (I used to sell 'premium cables")
u are getting ripped off for some of these scarts and components and hifi cables.
by a long way. I've seen the markups and margins on this and I know.
Unfortunatly if a cable doesnt hit that high price, it isnt taken seriously by the hifi av nerds, so they continue to charge more whatever they can get away with.

check the specs and get a decent cable though, just dont go overbord!

Back