PI-HOLE®: A BLACK HOLE FOR INTERNET ADVERTISEMENTS

So I install this on a raspberry pi, and then direct the router to use it as a dns server?

yes. Im not sure what router you have but you should have at least 2 dns server entires on your router.

change the second to the IP of the first and change the first to the IP of pi-holes host.

you can also use pi-hole as your DHCP server as that what i do. it gives you far more options to play around with.

yes. Im not sure what router you have but you should have at least 2 dns server entires on your router.

change the second to the IP of the first and change the first to the IP of pi-holes host.

you can also use pi-hole as your DHCP server as that what i do. it gives you far more options to play around with.

Gonna use a raspberry pi model 2, just setting it up now. Just hoping it won't slow the internet down!

Its all working. I just used it for DNS so it was simple enough to change the router to use the pi-hole.

Most importantly, my internet speed has not dropped. Was worried as i think the raspberry pi 2 does not have gigabyte lan port.

Anyone with a raspberry pi sitting doing nothing then they should give this a whirl. Best thing my raspberry pi has done yet!

In answer to your question @trevortron, i've not came across many that have that anti addblock detection, any i have, I've found the info elsewhere but you can add sites to a whitelist if it's something you visit regularly. I've had to add stuff like google add service to the safelist.

@Grimeire is my go to expert on this. He might have a better reply.

Last edited:
Sounds good and I have a pi knocking about, but I use uBlock Origin addon for chrome and don't get ads at all, not even on youtube.

Sounds good and I have a pi knocking about, but I use uBlock Origin addon for chrome and don't get ads at all, not even on youtube.

I was using that too, pihole was better for ALL devices. You just change your routers first DNS to the i.p of raspberry pi hosting Pihole. Keep the second what it's already set at. Best to reserve the i.p of the pihole device on your router after setup too

There will be a small adjustment phase where you find that some sites don't work and you have to add them to the whitelist, but is pretty easy to do.

Last edited:
I was using that too, pihole was better for ALL devices. You just change your routers first DNS to the i.p of raspberry pi hosting Pihole. Keep the second what it's already set at. Best to reserve the i.p of the pihole device on your router after setup too

There will be a small adjustment phase where you find that some sites don't work and you have to add them to the whitelist, but is pretty easy to do.

I dont get why you would leave the second DNS as is , because chances are its going to be used which would make pihole pointless ,
and if you read setup instructions it says to only use pihole DNS , I've had mine set up with only 1 DNS from the start

I dont get why you would leave the second DNS as is , because chances are its going to be used which would make pihole pointless ,
and if you read setup instructions it says to only use pihole DNS , I've had mine set up with only 1 DNS from the start

Works fine for me. I see 'blocked by pihole' so i'm happy that its working and in the admin panel it show me how much it has blocked. I'm in a household of non tech savvy people and they tend to turn things of and once or twice had the pi hole turned of and then get complaints that there is no internet. Having the 2nd dns as normal still gives me a whinge free household lol

I see where your coming from, I set this up on a neighbours RPI and had to use the DNS server from within pihole (virgin media router),
But if he ever forgets to turn on pi then no internet for him lol

Always a bit of a danger doing this kind of a favour for our less tech savvy friends/neighbours, as soon as they forget to do it they'll be at your door looking for assistance.

Good on you for sorting it for him though! :)

I can see what you mean but there's only me and the mrs and we both use ublock. We tend not to use a phone for anything but calls in the house and we don't use tablets in the house.

Might still give it a go cos I like to play with stuff for no other reason than I can.

I can see what you mean but there's only me and the mrs and we both use ublock. We tend not to use a phone for anything but calls in the house and we don't use tablets in the house.

Might still give it a go cos I like to play with stuff for no other reason than I can.

When i used ublock it was device specific - Meaning seperate computers had to have it install. You probably say 'thats not a hardship' but in a house with multiple IoT device, computers and phones -I now don't have to install ublock on anything as my router sends the request to pihole and pihole filters out the ads in realtime with no discernable delay!

Give it a go if you have a pi kicking about doing nothing. I do understand that you share a devices in your home and maybe it's overkill for you but it has worked flawlessly for me. (apart from when people switch of the pi)

Last edited:

if your pihole goes down you wont loose internet access if you have a second DNS entry in your router. last thing i want to listen to is everyone giving out there is no internet.

I use pi-hole as a dhcp server and there seems to be a bug that dnsmasq doesnt start if the host is rebooted, everytime the host is rebooted i have to manually go into the pi-hole web-gui and restart dnsmasq.

Call me cynical but what are they doing with everyone's DNS request logs?

I know nothing about it so it could just be my ultraparanoia.

Call me cynical but what are they doing with everyone's DNS request logs?

I know nothing about it so it could just be my ultraparanoia.

As i understand it, it passes no information to a thrid party. The pihole has ad blacklists which you can change or add to and if something dodgy is on it it does not get through. It's a hardware based ad block.

Back