php & mysql

FocuS

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi, wanting to learn php & mysql, can anybody recommend some good books on the subjects that helped them learn these,

cheers :)

focus

1st of you need a host to mess around with, you can sit down and read books but hands on experience i think is the best.

Basically running and installing php via web site front ends is pretty easy, it's just like running an exe file but instead your running it via your public folder on your domain.

The mysql part is the back end and this is where all the data is helled for your front end page.

You normally link the two together and thats a forum made.

You can set things called cron jobs which come under your admin page for your host and this will refresh your data base with fresh info from a source.

you have to have ftp access to your folders so you can enable chmod this allows the php scripts to read and right to the respectful folders.

it really depends on what you want to make and the php scripts that you'd like to run on what you need to learn.

i built this recently.

you can give me a shout if you need a hand, but have a think on what you want to build 1st....

Last edited:
hi m8 should be getting a host when they sort it out, i have the domain name already, so looking forward to messing with that. i want to learn the script language to build websites and maybe a forum from scratch and forms, i know its gonna take me a while.

thanx

for the reply

Hosting Type:Ad-Enhanced
Advertisements:Required - Text Link
Disk-Space Allotment:1000 MB
Bandwidth Allotment:20000 MB
Features:cPanel 11+, MySQL, PHP 5+, CGI, FTP
PHP Version:pHP 5.2.5 - Intermediate Ver.

They offer a free one and it's pretty cool, how ever they have just changed us over to vox and they should be up and running.

Let me know if you want a link, i get a few points for a referal.

How ever they offer a free 3 mysql data base and 1000 gig transfer a month and bandwidth is cool.

As for the forum making, thats real easy.....ima help you if you need it.

The place I learnt the basics of PHP were w3schools.

Just google w3schools it's the best place to learn definately.

Btw, before you learn PHP, make sure you know html and css fluently, or your site will fall apart once you start to add code.

i think a lot of webhosts now offer automated installation programs for forums...so it's not that hard.

It only gets down to the nitty gritty when you have to start editing php....but if you take your time it pretty much points you in the tight direction.

No, I think the guy is saying he wants to make his own forum. If I understood wrong then oops.

Back