Phillips DVP5960 ANYBODY

faisalpandu

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello does anybody own a Phillips DVP 5960 DVD player which has a USB Input. The reason is this that there are many firmwares avialable for this player and i dunno which is the best. Is i can get some suggestions has to which one to use would be helpful. And also this player supports external HDD any size under some conditions i,e power input and format hdd to FAT32. I wanted to know what HDD the guys who have this player use.

Thanks

i have one of those, and i did upgrade the firmware once.
i doubt that you can attach a disk of any size. that thing borked with my 8GB memory stick.
cheers

p.s. you can probably read a changelog for the firmware on philips website

Sorry that your still having problems...

I've now had chance to put a USB powered external mechanical hard drive on my 5980. It works fine but it is only a 20Gb laptop hard drive (i.e. lower power than a full size desktop hard drive).

i have one of those, and i did upgrade the firmware once.
i doubt that you can attach a disk of any size. that thing borked with my 8GB memory stick.
cheers

Was it FAT32 formatted? Only ask as I've had a 4 GB flash drive on that model and it works fine. I've also had a 120Gb external HDD (with seperate power supply) on my sister's 5980 with out a problem.

Was it FAT32 formatted? Only ask as I've had a 4 GB flash drive on that model and it works fine. I've also had a 120Gb external HDD (with seperate power supply) on my sister's 5980 with out a problem.

yes, it was. it ran, just not too well. but VDR replaced the dvd player pretty much tho.
an usb slot on a dvd player sure is nice tho

Sorry that your still having problems...

I've now had chance to put a USB powered external mechanical hard drive on my 5980. It works fine but it is only a 20Gb laptop hard drive (i.e. lower power than a full size desktop hard drive).

How did you connect the 20gb laptop hdd. i am thinking of butying a sata to ide cable from ebay as shown below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-SATA-TO-U...rkparms=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

and connecting an internal hdd with the cable to the phillips player. will this work as the hdd wil have an external power source.

I added one of these sumvision enclosures to an order from ebuyer: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125132

I'm in the process of formatting my powered 300Gb as NTFS to try on my mates 5960. I should be able to test it tonight.

[edit] Done. My mate's 5960 works fine with a 300Gb in an IDE to USB enclosure from Icy Box. AFAIK he's running the latest firmware.

Last edited:
[edit] Done. My mate's 5960 works fine with a 300Gb in an IDE to USB enclosure from Icy Box. AFAIK he's running the latest firmware.[/QUOTE]

Is this with or without the power

Back