what pda is it? ive got an ipaq h5550 that was in german when i got it, had to download a few things to get it to take an english version of windows ce. it cant update any features on it because the firmware is still german and cant be changed.
found this m8
I changed my Ipaq 5450 language from spanish to english...
The process was very similar with the older ipaq's versions...
This process works with Pocket PC202 and PPC 2003
Follow the next steps:
You need an Hexadecimal editor (example UltraEdit-32)
1) Download the english version from the image (HP iPAQ Pocket PC h5400 Series ROM Update) from: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/19957.html
You can use the the Pocket PC 2003 Upgrade CD too.
2) Run the .exe file. Extract all the files and cancel the operation.
2b) If you have de Pocket PC 2003 upgrade CD:
- Run the upgrade process until the Licence Requirements window appears (don't cancel the step)
- The upgrade files are extracting automatically in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Temp\pft##.tmp
- Copy all the file in another directory
- Then return to the Licence Requirements windows and cancel the operation
3) Go to your directory and make a copy to the file KERNEL*.nbf (the name of the copy file most NOT start with "KERNEL")
4) Edit the original KERNEL*.nbf with your hexadecimal editor. Change the first lines: ENGLISH to SPANISH and ENG to SPA, save the file and quit the editor
5) Execute the RUU.exe
6) In the Welcome to the ROM Update Utility for the iPAQ Pocket PC select the checkbox and press Next
7) In the next windows Follow the instructions below to prepare the iPAQ Pocket PC for the update process and press Next
8) In the Current information about your iPAQ Pocket PC windows press update.
9) In the next window you pass the validation of the language of your ipaq. In this step, go to your directory, rename the original KERNEL*.nbf (the name file most NOT start with "KERNEL"). Then rename the copy of the original file with the original KERNEL*.nbf name
10) Return to the upgrade window and continue the process...