pcie mother board question

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi all i am currently looking for a new gfx card and the problem is that pcie cards are far cheaper than agp x8. also the prob with new gfx cards that are dx10 compatible are not available in agpx8.

so i am looking for a mobo to replace the one i have at the min which is a msi 7222

mobo is a pentium d 920 which is socket 775

i have one gig of ddr2 ram

hdd is a seagate baracuda 250gb sata2 hdd

gfx is the crap nvidia 6200

i have a wintv pvr tv card in here

based on that what would be a good mobo to choose i mean do i just need to get a socket 775 mobo which supports sata 2 and ddr2 and then just make sure it has all the slots i want?

i mean ive seen this which looks a good mobo but maybe a litle to expensive.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?ASU-P5N32E

or is there alot more deciding factors to consider?

any help is much appreciated thanks in advance. and if you need a more detailed run down of my pc ill sort that out.

hmmm if u replace mobo u might need to get different type of ram depending on mobo

and cpu

and u will need to do a fresh install of O/S

erm

if u want performance and more or less future proof (sort of)

go for a intel core2 duo mobo with Nvidea Sli

sli is when u use to pcie graphics cards to function as 1

so better graphics performance .etc

but either way u will be luckin at repacing ram, cpu and possibly psu at the bare minimum

That motherboard will take your current CPU and the more recent Intels too.

Your DDR2 RAM will work if its PC2-3200, PC2-4300, PC2-5300 or PC2-6400.

SATAII is also supported at full bandwidth (i.e. 3.0Gb/s).

You do need to check your PSU has an 8pin ATX 12v power connector as well as the 24pin main power connector. If it doesn't buy a new one, at least 400watts (the higher the better) and make sure it has the above 2 connectors and preferably the PCI-e power connector (esp if you plan on using anything more powerfull than a 7600 GPU). Newer PSUs are more efficient too. Modular PSUs, tho' more expensive, do help reduce clutter inside the case, and therefore improves air flow.

You may not have noticed, but that motherboard only sports one IDE channel. So if you have more than two optical drives or you like your optical drives on separate IDE channels your either going to have to think about a different motherboard or rethink about your optical drive configuration. (or think about getting a couple of SATA optical drives ;))

the asus moterboard you linked to has a lot of problems ie ram plus lots of bios issues and asus arnt doing much about it .
when they first came out i got 1 but soon sent it back even though i lost out on around £25 i would stay well clear of it mate.
i got an abit AW9D MAX board and its great no problems at all

faz

thanks for all your replys it seems its not as straight forward as i thought lots to think about there. probably best bet if i take it to a shop and ask them to replace mobo for me.

Back