pc taking too long to shut down

Kopkinglfc

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am using xp and my pc takes ages to shut down( atleast 3-4 minutes before the

shutdown-restart box appears). I have tried clearing the cookies and temp internet files but the above problem is still there.

Regards

kopking

To be honest I find the best way to solve these types of problems is to just reinstall windows, you can do an install that just deletes the existing windows folder and makes a new one. This way you don't lose any important data u just have to setup windows again

If you boot with xp you can overwrite windows without losing anything, just choose the second repair option.

Should be this problem just recently appeared it could be easily resolved by rolling back your system using system restore from the help menu.

other things to try are typing msconfig into the run box and disable any programs thats are running all the time that u hardly user from the startup options i.e quicktime

Or check the task manager and try and identify all the running processes. Then close all the ones you know about and watch which ones are taking a while to close during shutdown.

The User Profile Hive Cleaner from Microsoft will probably help your machine shutdown a lot quicker. It cleanly terminates all the processes etc when you log off or shutdown

Do a search in google for it.

To be honest I find the best way to solve these types of problems is to just reinstall windows, you can do an install that just deletes the existing windows folder and makes a new one. This way you don't lose any important data u just have to setup windows again

I once read in a magazine a statement along the lines of:

"Reinstalling Windows everytime your PC goes wrong is like rebuilding your house when a lightbulb blows!"

Whilst I see where you are coming from about reinstallation creating a new Windows folder. You still lose all your program settings and some registry information, meaning most programs need a reinstall.

"Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut" also rings a bell. For these problems it's best to try find out what the problem is so at least you can be prepared for it should it happen again

Try checking the size of your profile, your swap file and how much spare disc you have left. If the first is too big and the last too are not big enough you will have problems.

have you got plenty of memory in there m8,if yes have a look in system tools ,the event viewer may give you a lead,and also as said in a earlier reply,take a look in startup,all this should be done after a spyware or ad aware check,let us know how you get on

Back