PC switching off and re-booting with no warning

squink

Inactive User
Reaction score
Recently my PC has started to re-boot without warning. It appears as though there may be a power supply fault like swithing on and off. The power supply unit is the original at 250W however the rest of the PC has been upgrade a coouple of times from 450Mhz to 2400Mhz processor. I re-installed XP just in case it was a software problem but it did it again. What do we think, power or processor problem?

In the last few weeks it has sometimes rebooted repeatedly every 10mins or so. That tended to discourage me for long enough for it to have cooled downbefore trying again so it will have cooled down. What i noticed this time is that it might coincide with a desktop action, copy / paste, i wondered if that caused a power jump or processor activity jump which triggered it. One of the guys here suggested the supply wattage might be inadequate also.

250 needs to be a good 350 at least if you got a 600 kicking around spot on use that,but where do you draw the line m8 its old

Almost definitely a power supply issue, especially if your current PSU is only 250W. If its an Enermax or something you might have been OK but if its a bog-basic one then 250W is probably the peak output, not the average. Get yourself a cheap 450-500W job from ebuyer for £20.

To be honest the only machines I've ever known to use 250W PSU's are those "cube" things that were all the rage a couple of years back, and even then only because they were low power all round. The smallest desktop PSU I've ever seen is 350W, and I wouldn't recommend anything less than 400 or 500W for a modern PC.

id agree if u have upgraded from a 450 to a 2400 then psu is a good place to start, and probably the cheapest place too.

@trancemaster many hp / compaq / IBM / elonex desktop machines of the small footprint varieties use very low wattage pcu's, am typing this on a compaq deskpro with a 150W psu

Yeah, I can imagine SFF type machines using low wattage supplies but 150W is just silly! Having said that, if everything is onboard then there's really not much use for anything bigger I suppose.

As everyone else says u really need to update your PSU. 250 really is not up to the job of a modern day PC.

Just one question when u installed ure 2400 CPU did u use thermal compound?. Turn on PC straight away after it shuts down and go into BIOS and try to see what the temperature is.

hi guys, thanks for maintaining some interest, i have gone with replacing the psu, bought a Trust 420W Big Fan model from Microdirect based on reviews on the web site. Working ok at the moment. Yes , the processor / fan are bonded with thermal compound, temps appear normal but i did put the fan on medium up from minimum setting. So far so good.

Back