PC keeps crashing

magicalbeef

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi people, my pc randomly keeps crashing, i reported it using that popup comes up saying your system has recovered from a serious error but it doesnt help, it says its something to do with an audio device, but i havent updated anything to do with audio or anything. any ideas how i can find out what it is and sort it?

have you gone into your Device Manager to see if there are any conficts with any devices.
If here is could just turn it off and see if that makes any different. or you could do a system restore back to a eariler date before you started to have any problems.

get this message when the error report completes

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

Problem report summary

Problem type

Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?

No

What does this problem mean?

Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause

Unknown

Computer symptoms

A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take

Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

any ideas how i can scan the pc and find out what causes this problem?

get this message when the error report completes

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

Problem report summary

Problem type

Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?

No

What does this problem mean?

Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause

Unknown

Computer symptoms

A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take

Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

any ideas how i can scan the pc and find out what causes this problem?
do u have a seperate sound card if so remove it
if u dont
go into sound card properties and find out what file /drivers it uses the remove them then do a new install for it

the blue screen of death you get whem it crashes should maybe give the filename of the driver causing the probs. *.sys.

try removing, then re-installing your graphic card & sound drivers would be my first guess.

hey guys, done a full reinstall of windows, installed all the drivers again, and still the problem persists! sometimes itl stay on for a few hours, other times it will just keep resetting! any ideas as its really doing my head in!!

when my pc kept restarting, over a couple of weeks i took parts out and tried different things but no joy, i decided to get a cpu fan(only had a heatsink) when i took it off i noticed the thermal compound was like dust, now works a treat, could be worth taking a look

Yes this could be down to overheating problem, as the time it stays up seems to suggest.

So it could be the fan. Or even that the paste between the heatsink and the cpu has dried out, which happens as a pc gets older. If it was the cpu itself it would crash quite quickly.

checked the fans and the paste/cpu, they all seem fine. Its really starting to get on my tits now, sometimes it will stay on for hours at a time, other times it will reboot after a couple of minutes. It has also started locking up so that the keyboard/muse stop working and i have to turn the pc off, anyone got any ideas?

Would be worth puting in another PSU if you have a spare as it seems you've tried most other things, even down to a new install of the OS. So it sounds as though it is either MB, PSU or CPU.

Hi Magicalbeef, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Memtest can be downloaded here....

http://www.memtest.org/

Go to the Download pre-built and ISO's where you can find a copy to run from a CD or a floppy.

This is the utility used by most vendors to check returned memory for faults so is widely redarded as reliable.

I also agree with techquest that your power supply is also suspect at this stage, it is not always a simple works or doesn't work situation when it comes to faulty PSU's.

Hope this helps,

Messa

Right guys, Pc bsod'd twice this morning, gave the the following messages:-

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP: 0X0000000A (0X86BFA0A8, 0X0000001C, 0X00000001, 0X805022DC)

upon restarting it bsod'd again and gave me:-

DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL
***STOP; 0X00000D0, (0X00090028, 0X0000000C, 0X00000001, 0X80547ED8)

any ideas how I can sort this?

This message tends to suggest the CPU or memory.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP: 0X0000000A (0X86BFA0A8, 0X0000001C, 0X00000001, 0X805022DC)

On a CPU it suggest it could be overheating. So double check all things fan and if you have not replaced the thermal paste do so now. Also suggest you use some IPA 170 (Isopropyl Alchohol) to clean the surface of the cpu and heatsink before applying new thermal paste.

It would also be good to see what the CPU temperature is doing so check that out in Bios or other.

Also if you have a fan or heatsink on the Northbridge then check out the fan or if you have a heatsink that is removable check out the thermal paste under it.

Remember dried out thermal paste on any of your heatsinks is of no use.

On the memory front then its just a case of swopping ut modules for known good ones to see if the fault lies there

This message tends to suggest a corrupted driver, possibley on a windows update download and more of a hardware issue.

DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL
***STOP; 0X00000D0, (0X00090028, 0X0000000C, 0X00000001, 0X80547ED8)

You could strip the PC of all its additional hardware, just leaving the video card in, to see if the problem goes away. If so plug them back in one at a time until the problem comes back.

Alternatively you could use the driver Verifier utility that comes with all windows OS versions. You invoke this by running it in a command window. So - Run - cmd - then type verifier in the window. You could also run verifier.exe from Run. Don't want to go into how you use it here as it's long winded. So go to the following microsoft site to give you a rundown on how to use it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Hope all of this gets you going in the right direction and let us know how you get on please.

Back