pc help wnated please

zapper

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this is >CYPRESS USB MASS STORAGE INSTALLATION. It is in my windows add & remove . I have not got a clue what it is . Dont want to uninstall it just incase it is part of another program i use . but want to get rid of it if i dont need it . ok thanks ps it is an exe file

It can be anything like a memory stick, memory card reader, mobile phone, external hard drive.... Pretty much anything with storage that uses the USB port.

i dont have anything external attached to my pc just know i never downloaded it thats why i dont know what it is dont want to uninstall it incase it nackers up my pc all i have is my mouse that is usb & my modem & scanners ps would it do any harm to uninstall it ?

no but just wondered if it was doing any harm keeping it lol like is it taking up my memery or doing anything to my pc ?

Hi people

cypress is a tradename for a semiconductor manufacturer
and obviously the supplier of the usb driver pack you speak of
- but as many have stated before - it could be any type of
usb mass storage device - ipod archos mp3 player
- usb hard-drive etc ................... good luck finding it!

You could use an utility like Driver Guide Toolkit and backup all your drivers beforehand then and only then, remove the 'offending' driver. Reboot your pc and then continue as usual. If anything fails to work you have your drivers which can be replaced.

BTW Drivers are usually relatively small in size and take up little memory.

chrome

I just Googled 'Cypress.exe' it didn't look to healthy, drivers are not usually EXE files unless they need to be installed. If you haven't installed it yet, just shove it on a floppy and store it.

Look at Google as I did and decide for yourself.

chrome

cant put it on a floppy as i dont seem to have it in my pc done a search but found nothing . Its in my add & remove as a >CYPRESS USB MASS STORAGE INSTALLATION. EXE so im thinking its never been opened up & installed so is it safe to remove it from add & remove ? . or has it been installed coss its in my add & remove >?

Zap, the name that appears in the Add/Remove is not necessarily the file you will find on your hdd, it's the file-name which you(?) lauched to install it. The files it installed are most likely in your system32 folder. The reason you can't find the file itself is it may well have been bundled in with something else, if it's in the Add/Remove list, then it has been installed.
Basically, just un-install it & if when you plug something in it prompts for the drivers, you'll know what it's for. Do you have a digi camera? could be for that...could be all sorts of things

mate just check with your family members if they have used mass storage device e.g. pen drive or mobile hard disck,etc.

one more thing i can suggest you is to have a look in to c:\program files\cypress directory or any directory which looks bit dodgy. I have had
the similar type of problem and the software was adware but it was installed as messenger so I thought its a MSN messenger and have left in the system but as soon as I removed it advertise stopped appearing when I open internet explorer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Back