Pc goes off after a few secs !!!

nilrem

Inactive User
Reaction score
Chaps ,
just done a favour (wish I hadn't) and reinstalled Xp on their sysytem for them.

They picked it up and took it home and plugged it in where it came on for a mo and went straight off again.

I've done all the usual and unplugged stuff , took out the ram and the pc beeped so I know the bios is alive.

I have checked the processor is secure and cleaned out the heatsink which was all choked up with fluff

I'm pretty sure its the PSU , I'm just looking for any idea's please

Cheers

The PC doesnt stay on long enough for it to display anything on the screen mate , the fans spin up and a few secs later it all goes off

Cheers

The PC doesnt stay on long enough for it to display anything on the screen mate , the fans spin up and a few secs later it all goes off

Cheers

Are you saying that it's not booting at all?

Not even a POST/BIOS screen?

might be a short somewhere mate where it automatically switches off due to a short.

try changing the fuse on the plug and thoroughly check the wires. ie, the power, reset buttons an so on.

take all the wires out the motherboard and just have the power, hdd and ram in, see if that loads. eliminate each component one by one.

also, whats the psu on it? wouldnt think there werent enough juice to power it but depends really.

Seems a little strange that it happened after you did re-installed windows, you dont say if you formatted it or why you installed it. Try booting from the windows cd and see if it will do that, it may be your friend had a virus and failed to tell you, if it boots then reset your bios to factory and start the computor with the cd, format and reinstal windows. If its none of those swap your own power supply in the machine and try it. that only takes a minute and then you know if its that. Go buy another. [smiles] hope this helps

First thing that came to mind with me is the PSU.

If you have a spare one from another machine, I'd give that a go.

i had somthing similar m8 and it was one of the usb connections cables i had plugged in it was cause a short . take everything out leaving only the mouse and the keyboard plugged in work from there if that dosent work try the motherboard . after that im stuck m8 .unless your hard drive is ready to go

Back