pc dead but which bit??

gasman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys got a mates pc here that wont boot, correction it does nothing, i hit the power button and it comes on but the monitor stays in sleep mode. Heres what ive checked so far.

Monitor - works fine with my pc and his pc does the same with my monitor

Graphics card - put a confirmed working card in NOTHING

Ram - Confirmed working ram went in NOTHING

IDE cables- tried with brand new one and also a confirmed workin one NOTHING

PSU - Stuck an old psu in that i checked worked first and guess what NOTHING

Hard drive - removed his and it booted to safe mode in my pc, removed mine and put it his pc NOTHING

Leads me to the suspicion that either the cpu or the mainboard (most likely the mainboard) is done for. Before i replace anything i could do with some opinions or even some more options to try before i replace the mobo and cpu.

If you have tried booting up with nothing except M/B, CPU and RAM (and gfx if required) plugged in then it sounds like a M/B.

sounds to like the mother board if it was the cpu you would get some beeps when you powered it on only thing that would stop the beeps would be if the mother board was f****

Had this problem on a machine before. It was the motherboard. Check the capacitors to see if they're bulging at all. If they are, this is a sure sign it is the motherboard.

I wouldn't completely rule out the CPU though but I'd suspect the motherboard first seeings you've tried everything else.

Thanks guys ive just told him am going to have to replace the mobo so might aswell upgrade the cpu whilst were @ it eh. Its kool though because @ least the hard drive isnt dead which he's pleased about as it has pictures and work documents he didnt want to lose. Can grab a mobo and cpu comb from bowlers for cheap enough anyway.
thanks again :Cheers:

Last edited:
Sad its turned out that way but good to make a decision m8. Just make sure you don't do a format of HD when asked by XP on new installation. In fact get the data onto another drive to be sure its safe. Better sure than sorry.

Im gunna tell him to buy a new hd and ill install windows on that then grab the required files off his original to the new hd. Then format the old and make sure the important stuff is written to both drives afterwards. First question i asked when he said his pc was fooked was have you backed up your important information. "what does backed up mean" was the answer, which in turn answered my first question lol.
rep added for your answers guys

Last edited:
Back