pc cutting off

SkinbacK

Inactive User
Reaction score
It could be 40 minutes sometimes 10 or 5, i don't even get time to do a virus scan because it will cut off, what to do.

type this in and the pc will not shut down and gives to time for a scan

Run-> Shutdown -a -> Enter
must be typed exact

if it just switches itself off for no aparent reaso without any messages could be overheating.

altho do first try the simple steps.

what i'd do is open the thing up, give it a good clean take away all the dust, especially from near the fan area and the power supply bit and then try.

it reminds me of the old virus telelwest had , when it counted down and the shut the pc down ,, anyone remember the name of it

something like blast ?

I would check the cpu temp as well. Try and find out what an acceptable temp is for your cpu. You can download plenty of free applications which tell you what temp your cpu is running at.

Hate to state the obvious but have you blown out the cpu fan with some canned air. My pc does it from time to time.

You should also renew the thermal grease under the cpu heatsink and any other removable heatsinks you might have on the chipset modules as this grease goes off after time and is always worth doing in such cases as your problem.

Same as most of the guys...It looks like an overheating issue.

But just in case, back up all your data, favourites, pics, docs, movies, mails etc before you lose them completely.

Shutting down "disgracefully" can cause the read/write heads on your hard drive to crash against the platters and render it useless.

Back