Paypal and ebay refund/return

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I purchased a HDD from a seller(1800 feedback) on ebay as a backup for a raid array. the drive was new and was purchased on the 6th of February. After receiving the HDD i never even opened the box i just stuck it on a shelf and waited till the day i need it.

Yesterday i went to replace a faulty drive with the one i purchased and within 24hrs it has already failed. i have tired it on 3 OSs and on multiple Sata ports/cables and on multiple devices. When i opened the box i realized it wasn't well package but it was sealed in a anti static bag so more than likely new. the packaging was a joke it was just stuck in a box that was way too big with a bit of bubble wrap and the anti static bag it was in. Im kicking myself for not opening it earlier.

I have noticed a few threads here about ebay/paypal about getting refunds/returns but i only get the options below from ebay when i click resolution center in paypal.
ebay.PNG

clicking "my problem is not listed here" just takes me to a ebay site with articles.

Are these my only options:
1. contact Western Digital and get a refurbished replacement or possibly nothing as they could say the drive has been knocked about.
2. contact the seller and probably get nothing.

i would be grateful for any advice

Thanks i opened a case with WD. its annoying knowing if they do replace it, i will only get 60 days warranty with the replacement which will be a refurb when i should have 3 years warranty.

thanks @nara, the resolution link on that page actually gets me somewhere instead of the one on the summary page. ill give the seller till tomorrow to response to my message and then open a case.

Thanks i opened a case with WD. its annoying knowing if they do replace it, i will only get 60 days warranty with the replacement which will be a refurb when i should have 3 years warranty.

the warranty on the replacement is actually the same as the original just came across this, it totally contradicts what they said when i opened the case.

The seller just emailed me saying they tested the drive before posting and showed a screenshot of the test.

That would imply it is not a new drive like they sold me and that it wasn't an unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging.

Last edited:
Yeh so not new as stated. The drive should still last a reasonable length of time. I would open a case with PayPal. I bought a portable greenhouse from Ebay and after three months the cover had perished. I opened a case with PayPal and I won. I even got postage costs refunded after sending it back. So worth having a go....

Yeh so not new as stated. The drive should still last a reasonable length of time. I would open a case with PayPal. I bought a portable greenhouse from Ebay and after three months the cover had perished. I opened a case with PayPal and I won. I even got postage costs refunded after sending it back. So worth having a go....

the seller admitted he sold me an item that was not as described. He offered me £20 compensation. WTF like i could loose my array cause of this.

did they cover postage costs both ways as it costs me an minimum of €15 to post to UK anything that is not a letter. this will probably cost more as it is heavy.

the seller admitted he sold me an item that was not as described. He offered me £20 compensation. WTF like i could loose my array cause of this.

did they cover postage costs both ways as it costs me an minimum of €15 to post to UK anything that is not a letter. this will probably cost more as it is heavy.

If you have proof ie email of him admitting he sold you an item not as described then you should win the PayPal case easily.
He will have to refund the full amount including the original cost of delivery. I would ring PayPal and speak to them regarding the return postage costs. I got my return postage costs refunded but I had to use a trackable postage service. When the seller received the item back, PayPal checked the tracking and could see that the seller had received the item and refunded me. PayPal also refunded me the money I had paid to return the item. But I would definitely phone PayPal and speak to them about the return postage costs and whether you will be refunded for that if you win the case.

posting it back is not something i want to do as it will mean i have to take a half day from work and lose out on half a days wages to go and post the thing.

I'll see if he increases his offer of compensation and if he does i'll accept it so i can buy a replacement ASAP. I can always send it to WD when Im on holidays in a few weeks. touch wood they won't say its not covered cuz its been knocked about.

I seller now responed to me with.

"hey i just noticed you have purchased this on Febuary 6th.

are you serious there is no way i need to do anything it must have broke by you .

good thing i noticed.

all the best."

I said in my first message the date i purchased.

I seller now responed to me with.

"hey i just noticed you have purchased this on Febuary 6th.

are you serious there is no way i need to do anything it must have broke by you .

good thing i noticed.

all the best."

I said in my first message the date i purchased.

To be fair i would say the same thing
You get a lot of scammers on FleaBay not saying you are :cool:

To be fair i would say the same thing
You get a lot of scammers on FleaBay not saying you are :cool:

he did admit the drive wasn't new he sent me, if anyone is a scammer it is him. He declared the drive as new, unopen and in original packaging. all which he confirmed it was not.

Contct FleaBay/PP and show them the emails he has sent
let them decide and hopefully you`ll get a full refund

Ill give him an hour to respond, i dont want to have to send the drive at the moment as i have taking too many half days in the last few weeks for things like this and dont want to have to ask can i have another if i can help it.

It looks like you have a good case, eBay / Paypal will almost certainly find in your favour. I've had numerous instances recently of eBay stuff not being as described and/or not working and every case has been settled in my favour. Often I am told I can keep the item despite having had a full refund. Happy days!

It looks like you have a good case, eBay / Paypal will almost certainly find in your favour. I've had numerous instances recently of eBay stuff not being as described and/or not working and every case has been settled in my favour. Often I am told I can keep the item despite having had a full refund. Happy days!

How long does it usually take for PayPal to settle the case. I opened it on Tuesday and they told me they won't have a result until the 25th.

I kinda need it sorted ASAP so i can get another drive to reduce chances of loosing the array

Wow, 25th sounds pretty quick! I usually have to wait up to three weeks. Whereabouts are you? I gather it's not UK.

Back