Paul Gascoigne in hospital after car crash in Newcastle

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ex-footballer Paul Gascoigne is in a "serious but not life-threatening" condition in hospital after a car crash in Newcastle upon Tyne.

The incident, involving a Vauxhall Astra, happened on Sunday at 2145 BST at Sandhill, on the city's Quayside, police said.

The car, in which Mr Gascoigne was a passenger, is thought to have left the road and hit a signpost.

A 36-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of drinking and driving.

A spokesperson for Newcastle General Hospital, where the former England midfielder and another man are being treated, described the condition of the pair as "serious but not life-threatening".

The female driver of the dark blue Astra was also taken to the hospital but has since been discharged.

The crash happened next to Newcastle's Guildhall and close to the Tyne Bridge.

Joyce Wemyss, manager of the nearby Bob Trollopes and Red House bars, was working a late shift.

She said: "I just heard the sounds of tyres screeching very loud and saw a dark blue car come pelting round the corner from under the Tyne Bridge.

"The driver lost control and went smack into the side of the Guildhall, hitting the taxi rank sign as it went.

"There was a lot of smoke coming from the car and all the cabbies from the rank outside the pub went running over.

1990 World Cup

"They pulled out the driver, a woman, and got on the phone to the emergency services."

She added: "I had no idea Gazza was a passenger. It had been dead quiet on the Quayside that night and he had not been drinking in here.

"I hope he's all right."

A former player with Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio, Glasgow Rangers and Middlesbrough, Mr Gascoigne was a star of England's 1990 World Cup team in Italy.

He tried his hand at management at Kettering Town in 2005, but was sacked after 39 days.

The 43-year-old, of Jesmond Park, Newcastle, has faced a long battle with alcohol and drugs.

BBC News - Paul Gascoigne in hospital after car crash in Newcastle

Back