Patio. Block paving. Bit lost lol

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
Hi people.

Going to be laying a patio and block paving.
Well attempting too as I got copd and can't really do much before I'm exhausted and unable to breathe. Anyway lol

Got an area of just under 18sqM for the patio and block paving path will be .90cm by 7.3M running along the edge. Probs looking at pic below give you an idea tbh

qe2e7e6e.jpg

That's taken from my cctv :)

5y9ujy3y.jpg

That's my sofa sketch lol

Anyways, just want to check what I intend to do with base and laying slabs etc.
I've dug down 15 cm from where I want the face of the slabs to lay. Level with the decking. The block paving will also be level with this.
I intend to lay a 5cm bed of Type1 mot. Compacted to 5cm not just loose.

This is where I'm a bit lost. I don't know weather to lay deeper type one and just bed Slabs in a wet mix to grab them.

I am using granite slabs btw. Same as these
Dark Grey Dusk Granite Patio Kit -Natural Stone Paving Slabs - Project Pack 18m² | eBay

So stick with 5cm type1 mot and 5cm screed. Then lay slabs on 3cm bed of wet mix/laying compound.
Or lay 8cm type1 mot and sharp sand then lay slabs to make up the height ?
Slabs are 20mm so got 130mm (13cm) depth for base which I'm hoping is enough lol

I know how to lay the block paving I think. Type 1 base. Sand compacted an then lay blocks an bed them in. Then whack blocks an kiln dried sand.

What I am going to put in as well is a drainage channel to the right of the path to get rid of excess water.
We have 3 dogs so will be washed down a lot, this will run into a rain water down pipe that runs into sewer

Any guidance ?

Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Fingers and thumbs ...

4enezupy.jpg

Just taken this one from cctv with what I've managed to do today. Yes all day :-/ lol !!!

Anyone :)

hey, @Rs2k_Rider looks like a nice little project :) 150 mm is good enough depth, the type one will need to be 90 mm thick well compacted, 60 mm for 20 mm slabs is plenty for bed, the bedding method is choice some like to use sharp sand dry, some stiff-ish mortar , i do use both but usually smaller slabs i use stiff-ish mortar method, then give them a couple of days before you start walking on them, when i use the sharp sand method i would usually put some cement in and just mix it in a bit, then screed out and lay. This is my way others will do things differently :) its only for walking on end of the day. As for your block paving 30mm sharp sand is the norm on top of well compacted type one kiln dried and then maybe a sealer to finish.

Focus

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi focus.

So do you mean lay type1 loose to 90mm then compact to 60 mm ?

As my overall depth I can use before slabs go on is 130mm.
I can go down more if needed I guess.

no it needs to be 90 mm thick when compacted give or take a bit :) so it leaves you around 50-60 mm for slabs and mortar.

Focus

Argh I'm with ya.
Any idea how much type1 I'm gonna need for the whole area ? I can get it loose tipped as neighbour has transit tipper.

:)

Does it make a difference if using the granite slabs ? As to how they are bedded ? An would you's advise to butt them up or leave a small joint ? An fill with something like "Easyjoint" ? EASYJoint, Paving Joints, Paving Jointing UK, Jointing Compounds UK, Jointing Mortars

Last edited:
Yeah think ur right. I was thinking a small black joint.

Arghhh. Trying to find loose type1 mot round here is a nightmare !! Everywhere wants to sell me bulk bags ! But there only .85ton. I want my full ton lol !
Need about 4.5 tonne @100mm thick. (7.3m x 2.8m x 10cm). Apparently lol

thats a lot mate might be better using a ready mix company as i dont think it will be much more and there is far to much to make small batches with a mixer

thats a lot mate might be better using a ready mix company as i dont think it will be much more and there is far to much to make small batches with a mixer

Huh ? Not laying concrete mate ?

Might be able to help mate but would have to speak with one of my customers on Monday..

Would that be with the type1 bud ? :)

I'm in Dagenham pal

Today's progress

tasa3eze.jpg

All dug now. Had some helpful volunteers today.

qy3e6aba.jpg

Just got to get the £££ stuff now lol

All dug now. Had some helpful volunteers today.

qy3e6aba.jpg

Just got to get the £££ stuff now lol

you know i said ide help.... can you delete that txt message and pretend you never read it lol....

good progress mate, should be able to do a few days week after next.. will let ya know...

Back