pat testing course

Landy33

Inactive User
Reaction score
Does any one know if you have to get all questions right in the pat testing exam 2377 or is it over a certain percentage ?

its a percentage, around about 60% I think...

Mick

Is there much call for PAT testing, as there is a place near me that does a course?

I don't think much of the ones we get in a work. Most of us a techs here but to comply with the law we get an external company in. One guy blew our kettle up and when we challenged him he said nowt to do with me I just plug into my machine. I did a in house pat test course when I worked for HSS hire and that was not so easy when you where new to the company. I was reading the course guide at the same time as showing the course inspector that I knew what I was going. I aced most of it but failed to check the fuse rating against the appliance power load. I got through though.

Check fuse and any brakes in the cable and slap a Pat sticker on it sorted lol ;)

I think the main part was deciding what class the equipment is which then tells you how you test it

I misread one question so scored 98%. You take the answer books in with you and are given 50 multiple choice questions. Anyone failing the theory part of the test seriously shouldn't be looking past making burgers in McDonalds ;)

I misread one question so scored 98%. You take the answer books in with you and are given 50 multiple choice questions. Anyone failing the theory part of the test seriously shouldn't be looking past making burgers in McDonalds ;)

I know I've said it before somewhere... Is there a section on how to apply labels to inappropriate parts of the equipment (like where you put your fingers on the top of test equipment when using the front panel) and make them slide all the way down IEC leads making them sticky? How to select labels like the ones they stick on inappropriately parked car windows and then clag them to my expensive test equipment then try to scrape them off the next year.

:)

Was better when our maintenance people used to do it.

I only know of one accident at our place related to general mains power office stuff. It was recent and involved a damaged adapter in a trailing extension. Cleaners probably damaged it and half was missing, back of brass prongs left out in the open. PAT didn't prevent that.

What introduced PAT? Was it a general H&S thing?

I would imagine it was a general H&S thing perhaps prompted by electrical fires in the workplace. I was surprised during my recent hospital stay when my kids brought a fan in for me and I was able to use it without being pat tested.

I hate the yearly PAT molestation. At least more of my stuff is being considered IT equipment which gets tested every three years.

Thing is, they've changed the testing company a couple of times and the new ones insist of getting everything tested to the same date.

I know they cut corners and take liberties too (when paid by the item). Labels appear on things they couldn't have tested, rooting through cupboards to dig out stuff that would never be used again, I lock mine :). One of the scams is claiming "visual inspection" on, for example, phone chargers (no earth). Another is equipment powered by AC adapters - A colleague found a tested sticker on his can cooler, there was on on my laptop (external PSU)...

I've also seen one cutting plugs off failed items. We're an electronic engineering company and make some of our own test equipment. He was told just to quarantine stuff. He left the cut off plugs lying around though, could just stick them in a socket.

Back