Paste Special Images

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hy guys and gals hope you can help me with this.

Im trying to automate reports. I have managed to successfully extract graphs from MS Excel onto MS Word so that when i change the figures in excel it automatically updates in word.

what i havent managed to do is do this with images. Jpeg images and raw data (numbers).

Has anyone ever worked with these before? would appreciate some help on it.

I know you can do that jpg thing in Adobe InDesign.

I'm trying to look for you. Seems you can add a linked image, but I can't find out how atm.

UPDATE: Ok i've found out how to do it. You will need to save the images as .bmp because .jpg doesn't work unfortunately. Then you want to insert object, choose from file, then check the box link to file.

Then find the bmp you want, and add it. When you change the bmp, right click on the image in word and choose Update Link.

I'm sure it's similiar for the text.

Last edited:
I know you can do that jpg thing in Adobe InDesign.

I'm trying to look for you. Seems you can add a linked image, but I can't find out how atm.

UPDATE: Ok i've found out how to do it. You will need to save the images as .bmp because .jpg doesn't work unfortunately. Then you want to insert object, choose from file, then check the box link to file.

Then find the bmp you want, and add it. When you change the bmp, right click on the image in word and choose Update Link.

I'm sure it's similiar for the text.

im just trying it mate thanks.

UPDATE:

Not working mate.

can i just put a link on word where it gets an image from location on the hard drive and displays it. and if that image changes or gets updated with another image of the same name it will display that image?

Last edited:
I've managed to solve the data problem.

Had to selct the data in excel and select paste special in excel then select "all except border" option. Then in word i had to select "Paste Link" option.

ust image link left now.

tried using HTML but that dont work in word.

im just trying it mate thanks.

UPDATE:

Not working mate.

can i just put a link on word where it gets an image from location on the hard drive and displays it. and if that image changes or gets updated with another image of the same name it will display that image?

So you imported an object and it didn't work? It worked fine for me. What version of Word are you running?

the data and graphs are working.

the object aint. i used bmp and jpeg. must be somthing im doing.
using 2007 mate.

Back