Win 8/8.1 Passwords not retained

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi hope someone out there with more brains than me (that is not hard by the way) can offer some help please.

When I access a website such as this one or download my emails using Outlook 2010 I have to put at least my password in every time. My computer appears to be incapable of retaining passwords even though I always click the link for them to be retained. I work with 14 email addresses so you can imagine the frustration of first of all going through the receive process but then whenever I try to send a mail or receive one I have to re-insert the password, and they had different passwords. I have reluctantly made them the same at the moment to speed up the process.

I thought first of all I had a trojan as I also received a warning of a virus (Zeus) on my computer by one of the scams that attempt to get money out of people.

My main protection is Kaspersky it found nothing on my computer. I then Googled the name of the virus and tried Kaspersky TDSSKiller again without a result being found, since then I have tried RKill, Malwarebytes, Herd, SpyHunter,finally EMSISoft all without finding any baddies apart for adware.

Can anyone suggest what else I may try so that my passwords are retained please

best regards

tbh Telsave having a browser save your passwords in this day and age is poor security.

many people use a password database program and turn off the save password function on ie/ff/chrome etc.

have a look at The Best Password Managers for 216 | PCMag.com for comparisons.

i personaly use sticky-password this was after trialling a few most have free versions you can try and see if it full fills your expectations.

most work on the same premise you have one tricky password to remember and that is to open the password database then you can let the program sort the rest even if you choose to have 99 character with multi upper/lower case special chars and whatever else you want passwords.
i have many passwords for sites now i have absolutely no idea what it is the program sort it.

Hi Hatab Many thanks for taking time out to help it is appreciated.
I shall look at a password manager again I did run one a while back but it was not too good as it gave scant information about a website and did not cover outlook email passwords and these are the important ones. You still had to go to the password manager and select the keyword but I shall have a look at the one you mention if you believe that will help Outlook

cheers

Hi Telsave

stickypassword the one I use has a few different modes

web accounts
app accounts
identities
bookmarks
secure memos

i use web accounts and secure memos for the vast majority of what i want

i suspect in your case you would want to use the app accounts area or maybe Identities.

Many of the settings are standard and work out of the box as it were however if it doesn't there is a manual set-up for individual entries whilst its a bit of a phaf sometimes to set-up.
once its done its wait a beat or two for the program to populate user name and password auto hit enter/go/run etc and your in.

lots of help and info direct from program @ Sticky Password forum • Index page

Of course there are other password managers but i don't have any recent knowledge of them, let us know how you get on ! ;-)

Last edited:
Hi Telsave

stickypassword the one I use has a few different modes

web accounts
app accounts
identities