Parking an articulated lorry in a housing estate.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
Is it legal to park a 40ft trailer and truck on normal public roads, in built up area like a housing estate?

A guy a few doors away from me parks this huge truck outside his house but it takes up the parking spaces of another 5 houses, I'm not effected by this but all my neighbours are and I think there's going to be bloodshed pretty soon :)

If its a private estate then there will be something in the deeds saying that comercial vehicles cant be parked on the estate.
If its a council estate then im sure the council would soon put a stop to it if there were compliants

no there no law as such i know of however if he is blocking driveways ect then its agienst the highway code fyi

Highway Code Rule 246 (which relates to the provisions of Section 19 of the Road Traffic Act 1988):
"Vehicles with a maximum laden weight of over 7.5 tonnes (including any trailer) MUST NOT be parked on a verge, pavement or any land situated between carriageways, without police permission. The only exception is when parking is essential for loading and unloading, in which case the vehicle MUST NOT be left unattended"

Highway Code Rule 248 (which relates to the provisions of Regulation 101 of the Construction and Use Regulations and to Regulation 24 of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989:
"You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space"

The large majority of commercial LGV trucks are covered under the Operators License Agreement, which 99% of companies need to run trucks.

The agreement strictly forbids the parking of trucks overnight in built up urban areas, the exception to this would be "Own Account" companies but these are now few and far between.

Simply look at the windscreen of the truck to see if it has a RFL disc (Road Frieght License) which looks like a tax disc but is greenish.

Then simply phone your local licensing office with the registration of the truck and they will sort it kinda sharpish. :Cheers:

The large majority of commercial LGV trucks are covered under the Operators License Agreement, which 99% of companies need to run trucks.

The agreement strictly forbids the parking of trucks overnight in built up urban areas, the exception to this would be "Own Account" companies but these are now few and far between.

Simply look at the windscreen of the truck to see if it has a RFL disc (Road Frieght License) which looks like a tax disc but is greenish.

Then simply phone your local licensing office with the registration of the truck and they will sort it kinda sharpish. :Cheers:
or contact the owners and complain
but as said above the local licensing office will sort it especially if its in the northwest cos they are very strict.

I feckin hate people that take up so much parking space. A friend of mine has a problem because his neighbours have 6 cars (for 3 of them) and there all parked in the bloody road.

Back