PANASONIC TH-42PZ82B looking at getting this, any good ?

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
Hi Lads

Looking at getting PANASONIC TH-42PZ82B, found it at comet for £799...

What do you guys think of it, does anyone have it ?

Do you know anywhere I can get it cheaper from ?

Cheers in advance lads

no one yet lol ? I know im inpatient but itching to know :p

thats a new one on me! - never even heard of that model in panasonic range m8

Fairly new accoridng to the guy in comet mate, picute was superb... and was in SD... hdmi lead was about 2 foot too short to reach to it :( but is full hd so can imagine what will look like i guess... i love F1 so im told a plasma is a good choice for responce rate ? is this right

Cheers lads

I'd take a long a few DVD's to check it out. Also a lot of TV's in showrooms run vastly over over saturated colours so make sure the colour and contrast are not set too high.

Ask them to play some Freeview content along with Freesat if they have it setup. You also want to check out the 1080/24 issue so make sure you watch a BluRay disc. Try and demo as much varied content. I like to use dark films such as Pans Labyrinth. See what the black levels are like and if there is detail in the shadows or if the blacks get crushed.

Comet/Currys get a few exclusives every year. IIRC they had a Sammy LCD on exclusive last year.

Which Comet is it in? If its close by to me I'll pop in and check it out.

I'd take a long a few DVD's to check it out. Also a lot of TV's in showrooms run vastly over over saturated colours so make sure the colour and contrast are not set too high.

Ask them to play some Freeview content along with Freesat if they have it setup. You also want to check out the 1080/24 issue so make sure you watch a BluRay disc. Try and demo as much varied content. I like to use dark films such as Pans Labyrinth. See what the black levels are like and if there is detail in the shadows or if the blacks get crushed.

Comet/Currys get a few exclusives every year. IIRC they had a Sammy LCD on exclusive last year.

Which Comet is it in? If its close by to me I'll pop in and check it out.

Its in the one down whalebone lane mate, near mcdonalds... where B&Q used to be...

They only have telly on stand plugged into shitty ariel feed... asked them to plug it into there sky hd demo rig but the hdmi wasnt long enough :( before I buy it I want it plugged into hdmi to see what its like and play around, if you could mate and dont mind... can you meet me there an go over a few so i got a better idea ?

I had a chance to check it out this morning in the Beckton branch. They had the 85B and not the 82B. The picture was great from a crappy TV feed. They refused to test any BR or gaming material which really sucks.

I had a play around with the TV menu and it felt a little clunky but functional none the less.

From what I saw it looks like a great TV. It is 100hz as well so should be excellent for gaming.

I've seen 50" TV's fpr the same price but this definitely displays a wonderful picture much better than budget 50"ers.

Oh and I think it has a SD card built in which is a nice touch.

I had a chance to check it out this morning in the Beckton branch. They had the 85B and not the 82B. The picture was great from a crappy TV feed. They refused to test any BR or gaming material which really sucks.

I had a play around with the TV menu and it felt a little clunky but functional none the less.

From what I saw it looks like a great TV. It is 100hz as well so should be excellent for gaming.

I've seen 50" TV's fpr the same price but this definitely displays a wonderful picture much better than budget 50"ers.

Oh and I think it has a SD card built in which is a nice touch.

great nice one mate, so are they both the same panels then ?

yea does have a sd card slot, 3 hdmi plugs etc. :)

the question is, would you buy it ?

great nice one mate, so are they both the same panels then ?

yea does have a sd card slot, 3 hdmi plugs etc. :)

the question is, would you buy it ?

I'm not sure if they are the same panels TBH. I did a quick search for the 82B and I didn't come up with much that tells me that they are different. Normally I would say that it is a Comet exclusive deal but one or two internet dealers have it in stock.

The PZ range this year are pretty darn good from what I have read over at AVforums and having seen it in the flesh now I'd have to agree. The only thing is that it is a 1080p set and I prefer 720p for a normal TV as most broadcasts I watch are SD.

If you intend to watch normal SD broadcasts take a look at the PX series from Panasonic, you'll save yourself a couple of hundred quid. If you think you may be wathcing a lot of HD broadcasts and Film/Gaming content then you may want to go for the PZ range.

I'm a stingy bastard and I'd go for the PX personally or even a second hand Pioneer (have you seen the crazy prices recently? £1000 buys you a 50"!) If you'll consider the PX range let me know and I'll read up and find out if there are any issues with judder when attached to a 1080p/24 source device.

I'm not sure if they are the same panels TBH. I did a quick search for the 82B and I didn't come up with much that tells me that they are different. Normally I would say that it is a Comet exclusive deal but one or two internet dealers have it in stock.

The PZ range this year are pretty darn good from what I have read over at AVforums and having seen it in the flesh now I'd have to agree. The only thing is that it is a 1080p set and I prefer 720p for a normal TV as most broadcasts I watch are SD.

If you intend to watch normal SD broadcasts take a look at the PX series from Panasonic, you'll save yourself a couple of hundred quid. If you think you may be wathcing a lot of HD broadcasts and Film/Gaming content then you may want to go for the PZ range.

I'm a stingy bastard and I'd go for the PX personally or even a second hand Pioneer (have you seen the crazy prices recently? £1000 buys you a 50"!) If you'll consider the PX range let me know and I'll read up and find out if there are any issues with judder when attached to a 1080p/24 source device.

I actually sold a brand new boxed PDPLX50D last week for 1499 and I even chucked in the pedistal for the bloke - pioneer are doing some crazy claim rewards for retailers right now - just got the display 1 left now though

I actually sold a brand new boxed PDPLX50D last week for 1499 and I even chucked in the pedistal for the bloke - pioneer are doing some crazy claim rewards for retailers right now - just got the display 1 left now though

!!!!! Crazy price for a brand new telly Hawkish.

A friend of mine bought a 50" around 4/5 years ago for £12k. How prices have fallen.

I do think a 42" is perfect for 99% of UK living rooms. What makes me laugh is when you walk into someones house and they are sitting 5' from a 50" LOL!

i will be about 6ft away i expect maybe a little less. would a 42 be ok u think or best off with a 32 ?

monkey- I will be getting sky hd, and using it on a ps3 when i get one... to play blue rays etc... so do u think the 1080 option is the best one for me mate ?

reason im paying out now, (or just after Christmas) is because I will have my uni bursary and the misses bursary so we need a new tv, so want something that will be good for a gd few years,.... were also getting a new 3 piece suite as ours is skip bound or at least should be lol ! Just to make our life more comfortable while at uni for the next 3 years for the misses and 6 years for me :)

cheers

I sit around 12-13' from a 37" and find that good (42 would be perfect and 50" too big). I'd stick with the 42" that you are considering as you will be using it for all of your viewing needs. As this will be your main TV I'd go for the 1080p, if you dont you'll always have that niggle in your mind that you didn't buy the latest tech. OTOH if you can get a PX series (720p) for around £500 I'd jump at it.

I just noticed that the new TH-42PPZ81B has a built in HD Freesat tuner which is a very nice feature to have for free broadcast HD TV.

I should stop talking LOL as I'm probably confusing you more than helping :)). The main point I'd like to make is don't buy the TV just for the 1080p badge. I know that it is difficult when people go on and on about FullHD but it is just all marketing crap. You decision needs to be based on cost and performance.

I sit around 12-13' from a 37" and find that good (42 would be perfect and 50" too big). I'd stick with the 42" that you are considering as you will be using it for all of your viewing needs. As this will be your main TV I'd go for the 1080p, if you dont you'll always have that niggle in your mind that you didn't buy the latest tech. OTOH if you can get a PX series (720p) for around £500 I'd jump at it.

I just noticed that the new TH-42PPZ81B has a built in HD Freesat tuner which is a very nice feature to have for free broadcast HD TV.

I should stop talking LOL as I'm probably confusing you more than helping :)). The main point I'd like to make is don't buy the TV just for the 1080p badge. I know that it is difficult when people go on and on about FullHD but it is just all marketing crap. You decision needs to be based on cost and performance.

Thats exactly it mate, :) if it looks good and has good reviews im not too fussed what the babble says on the box lol !

Back