Panasonic Lumix DMC G1 Anyone got one?

Curly

Inactive User
Reaction score
In between Bro and Mairyhinge. Hold that thought..
Been looking for a new DSLR.
I quite like this new one from Panasonic.

Products - LUMIX Digital Cameras - Overview - The LUMIX G1 - Like an SLR, only SMLR - UK & Ireland

It will do everything that I'll need it to, and I like the fact it's smaller and neater than a conventional SLR/DSLR.

All reviews I've read are quite possitve so far.

As it's something of a new technology (four thirds system) I'm wondering if anyone here has one, or has had a play with one and has any opinions on it.

One of the best prices I've found online is at fotosense which happen to be not far from where I live so I'm going to go in and have a play with one soon.

Curly

Definately have a hands on test. If you can, take your own memory card so that you can evaluate the images on your home computer/printer.

Also have a look at the DMC-GH1. This has a slightly megapixel rating, but the main feature over it's sister model is it can record video (at upto 1080/24p).

Have a look on youtube to see if there is a video review on it. Have a look at the 4/3 wikipedia article for a summarised breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages over true DSLR and digital compact cameras: Micro Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good idea with the memory card m8, I'd not thought of that!

The GH1 looks great but at a silly price ATM plus not many are stocking it yet.
I did read that for that money, one could get the G1 and a decent HD camcorder.
Thing is, the camcorder will be next as the screen has packed in on my little Sony jobby.

Cheers m8

Curly

Good idea with the memory card m8, I'd not thought of that!
[snip]

Only thought of that today myself. Previously I've suggested people ask the shop to print off a sample...

However, in the current economic climate you'll be lucky to get a 6x4 print out of most shops, and it's my opinion that DSLRs should be evaluated at the 8x12/A4 print size to prove they're up to the job.

(8x12 is a minimum but not everyone has access to an A3 printer - I know I don't)

Last edited:
I'll answer my own original question now.............I've got one lol

Bought it a week ago, the day before we went away, so didn't even have time to read the instruction book.

I have to say that I am really impressed with it!
It's so light and easy to use, it's constantly focusing when turned on so when you press the button it almost instantly brings up the green "in focus" light.
It's near silent operation apart from the shutter and the fact that the lens doesn't spin when focussing is really good.
The lcd screen and the one in the viewfinder are superb.
Most shots taken so far were the general wife/kids type so couldn't really nip off and do some arty type lol.

I'll upload a couple in the relavent section.

Curly

Back