Panasonic DMR-EZ45

Liam1611

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have been "given" a Panasonic VCR/DVD recorder/Freeview which has got a fault on the DVD side. I think its a logic fault of some kind rather than a laser fault. When you turn the machine on from cold it goes through the boot procedure checking everything with Please Wait flashing across the front. When it comes to the DVD drive the laser makes an odd noise as though its hitting the centre spindle and tries to focus. The spindle doesn't spin the disc up and even without a disc in the tray it thinks that there is one present. Tried speaking to Panasonic Technical but because we are only a retailer and not a "repair centre" they are unwilling to help and the repair centre asked me to drop it in and they will look at it for a "charge". I've cleaned the spindle hub, as suggested elsewhere but to no avail. I wouldn't mind but I am more than capable of repairing it myself I just need to know whats wrong with it. I've given one of the boards some "heat" treatment to sort out an possible dry joints but its still the same. So are there any Panasonic engineers out there who can give me an answer.
It just seems a shame to throw such a nice bit of kit in the bin as it will replace 3 things under my daughters TV.

Thanks in advance

Liam

Sorted out the above problem, bought another one of these off eBay allegedly working just no remote for £16. Anyway picked it up, got it home and that too turned out to be faulty, took the DVD drive out of the recently bought one and stuck it in my original DVD recorder and everything works. So if anyone has one of these with the same fault you can safely say that the DVD drive is knackered.

Regards

Liam

Sorry m8 I thought I'd passed comment on this, Glad you found a cheap solution, are you gonna try fix what you got left of the other one?

Could it have been just the lazer on the drive that needed replacing?

I'm undecided whether to repair it or to rake the parts that I might need and throw the rest in the bin. I might go for my usual approach which is to leave it lying around for a few weeks until the missus starts giving me ear ache and then throw it in the bin. I don't think the original laser was faulty as it displayed there was a disc in the drive, it could be a mechanical fault but I'm sure I will look into it further when I get round to it or when the ear ache becomes too annoying whichever comes first.

Regards

Liam

Last edited:
Back