Oxygen?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
If you had your bedroom door and windows firmly shut, how long would it be before you ran out of oxygen?

Lol, reason i asked was, i got up earlier to make a cup of tea, and when i went back in the room, i thought Jesus it's stuffy in here. Which got me pondering the oxygen content.
I know a room isn't completely air tight, but once the bulk has been consumed, surely there wouldn't be enough coming through the gaps to sustain life? :)

Every time I try to put a stop to self medicating, my head starts coming up with odd random questions lol

Used to happen in some lorry cabs, driver would close cab curtains and windows at night, then have a gas burner on low to keep cab warm, found dead next morning ,the gas burner ate all the oxygen driver dead. Bedroom bigger no burner but still depends of the size.

Stuffy room i would ask what electronics are on and in room,tv and sat receiver give a nice bit of heat out and my window is never shut tight.

No sign of memory foam pillow that suffocated them:eek::eek::)

Assuming the room was completely sealed and air tight and of an average size, you would have around 7-8 days worth of oxygen before the oxygen level fell from normal 21% to 11% (assumption here of roughly average human oxygen use at a steady rate) At 11% oxygen you would pass out. If oxygen levels did not return to normal you would be in trouble at this point.

However before the above low oxygen levels get you, you would most likely be in trouble with high Carbon Dioxide levels (CO2). Air has around 0.04% CO2. We breath out air with about 5% CO2. CO2 toxicity can cause suffocation at levels around 7%. So with the average sized room again, you would have around 6 days before your exhaled air increased the CO2 levels in the room above the 7% (assumption here again of roughly average CO2 production)

So it would be the CO2 toxicity that gets you (Hypercapnia in around 6 days) before the lack of oxygen gets you (Hypoxia in around 7-8 days)

(Mods: I hope this has added something to the thread, took me a while to look into this and type up, getting fed up with posts being deleted, I see much more blatant clocking including senior members, new member here as you know, we all have to start somewhere, give me a break)

Back