outdoor spot lights

krazylegz

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have a white pvc canopy with pillars above my front door, were in the middle of decorating the passage so i want to get the wiring done to put spotlights in it, but wandering is there proper outdoor spotlights or just bathroom ones?

You can get outdoor spotlights that have a higher ip rating (more waterproof)
However, if you are putting low voltage lights in a soffit, I'd say use bathroom type as they will be cheaper.
As long as they are reasonably well sheltered from rain you'll be ok.
Make sure the transformer is inside and keep the low voltage side of the wiring to a minimum, as you get volt-drop and end up with some lights brighter than others.

Curly

cheers curly m8 i take it you mean keep the transformer actually inside the house rather than inside the canopy, yeah they will be reasonably well sheltered m8 as door is set back too...

hopefully you will be better at electrics than that cable splitter on your wall lol :proud:

The transformers will be fine in the canopy, no need to put the transformers inside the house.

Lol @ the cable splitter ;). You will soon have the gypo's knocking to see if you want matching guttering etc m8 :) lol

imo try and get 230v spot lights rather than 12v, the transformers are common to burnout and if they are in your ceiling or anywhere that isnt accessable that will mean hacking at plasterboard to find and replace them. then you will have to replaster, get new transformer and who no's how long your new transformer will last. this goes for any spot light, they may be dearer but alot cheaper in the long run. hope this has helped.

The transformer(s) will be accessable through the hole he will cut to put the light in...
Why would you ever need to hack and cut at ceilings to find a low volt transformer?

The transformer(s) will be accessable through the hole he will cut to put the light in...
Why would you ever need to hack and cut at ceilings to find a low volt transformer?

because some are actually bigger than the hole you cut for the light.

pmsl you bunch of fookers that is a arial cable not cable and was a quick 2 min job at half time of the toon match last sunday....just too lazy to get back up the ladder and fix the fooker properly..........as for the hole that was the hole that the virin media bloke drilled...i just pulled out the ****** coax and stuck my arial wire through for the bairns freeview lol.

thanks for the replys lads will go and have a browse for some the morra

Back