Os To H\d

S

scrivs9

hi

got my nieces pc at my house she dropped it off just saying it crashed.

so i tried to get it going without formatting but i couldn't so i formaatted
it formats to 100 % no probs then does restart won't do anything else.

so i took it out put in mine as slave formatted it and seems fine as a slave.

took it out back into the other installed windows xp pro and same thing after first re start just sits there,
i hve tried ntfs and fat 32

can i put it in mine as slave and then put xp pro on it so when i put it in my nieces it loads.

just reformatted again,
all goes well till first restart, then just sits there saying " to boot from cd rom press any key" won't go past this.. please any ideas have tried 3 different disks now one win xp pro and from a different source win xp pro
tried Win ME as well,,,,,,,,,

any ideas please

yes cd is bootable and yes 1st boot device is cd rom

when the message says "press any key to boot from cd rom" What should happen is if no key is pressed then after a few seconds carries on with insallation but it doesn't go any further

if i do press any key it justs goes round in circles..

at the moment the H\D is a slave on my pc what tests can i do while its there

outting files on and on off it seems to work fine
scan disk came up with no errors

So it would appear to be a fault with hware other than h/drive, It is set back to master when you install it isnt it ?

Does the bios detect it as master ?

Try removing a memory stick and try different combo's to see if the results change.

Scandisk is pants - Use PC-Check or some other dos based hard drive checker, Spinrite was suggested earlier, try that.

Most manufacturer's now supply diagnostics for their brand of drives, check their website for a diagnostics download.

Dutcho said:
So it would appear to be a fault with hware other than h/drive, It is set back to master when you install it isnt it ?

Does the bios detect it as master ?

Try removing a memory stick and try different combo's to see if the results change.

yes back to master and yes its in bios and have tried each of the memory sticks on there own

this as worked faultlessly for last 3 months...

May seem daft to point out, but have you tried setting the BIOS to boot hard drive as first device (change it when install goes for first re-boot)??
See what that does..?

lone.gunman said:
May seem daft to point out, but have you tried setting the BIOS to boot hard drive as first device (change it when install goes for first re-boot)??
See what that does..?

yes all i get then is the flashing cursor

scrivs9 said:
just reformatted again,
all goes well till first restart, then just sits there saying " to boot from cd rom press any key" won't go past this.. please any ideas have tried 3 different disks now one win xp pro and from a different source win xp pro
tried Win ME as well,,,,,,,,,

any ideas please
Its the old fashioned way for this.You will need to boot into dos and type "runxp" or similar instruction.check on dos commands online before you type and get the correct command.It is quite easy to do with correct command,but its years since I have done new systems .good luck

Try PSU

I do alot of work on other peoples computers and with 80% of all hard to trace probs including stall at boot, freeze in winxp, soundcard sticking it turned out to be the power supply.

It was the prob with the last three pc's i've fixed after a thunderstorm. Try sticking a decent psu into your neices and see if that works. And I do mean decent - a 350w Enermax or Antec is better than a 600W piece of crap.

If that turns out to be the prob put in a decent psu and get a surge protected strip.

Back