Reaction score
Has any one ever had problems ordering items of the bay from the US
ie any extra to pay ect?
im thinking of making a purchase but want to do my home work first
thanks for any info..

thanks will try that
how will that work then if i have to pay duty
and will i most probably have to?

iv'e ordered hundreds of items over the last 7 years or so and never once received a bill for duty, not that it could not happen mind you.

iv'e ordered hundreds of items over the last 7 years or so and never once received a bill for duty, not that it could not happen mind you.

I'm the same , had tons of stuff and not just from the states, and not just of ebay.

It's just the chance you have to take.

thanks for all your input guys i shell go for it with the expectation i my need to pay a duty fee
thanks once again.

The current levels are:

• £18 for Import VAT (unless marked as a gift, in which case it's £40)
  • £135 for Import Duty (unless the amount of duty is less than £9 then it's waived)
Once you go past the threshold value you pay tax on the whole amount, rather than just the amount over the value as you would with Income Tax etc. However, postage and packaging do not go towards the total value.

The rate of VAT will depend on the "tariff" the goods fall into. For example printed books are free from Import VAT, yet an ereader would fall under electronics and be subject to Import VAT at a rate of 20%.

Some sellers will refuse to mark the value less than it's worth (i.e. £18/$22) as any postal insurance claim will go off the declared customs value.

Ignoring that they'll illegally withhold your mail until you pay, at a £9 flat rate, Royal Mail's handling fee is an absolute rip-off...

anything over 18 quid iirc and if things have not changed.

try get them to put a lower value on the parcel most do as they see they will get a sale out of you.

this is ok unless the parcel goes missing and then the insurance will only payout the stated invoice amount

so be careful

I ordered at least 30 or 40 times and only ever been stung once at customs. but if you are buying from companies they will most likely put the real value on the shipping doc which could increase your chances of getting caught.

What are you ordering, I have found with current exchange rate that it might just be cheaper to get the item from the UK.

i have had to pay it a couple of time but that was high value items
one was a car amp and one was touch screens one in personal name
and once in a buisness
now i dont order unless the invoice will be lowered

Back