Phone Unlocking Orange admit N80 crap - offer free upgrade

herbs

Inactive User
Reaction score
This may be of help to someone.

Since I got my Nokia N80 it has been nothing but trouble and I have been constantly on at Orange to do something about it. Those who have one will understand. The only fault now is that the voicemail indicator is constantly displayed. This is a problem with the current Firmware and the Orange network. The issue has been with Nokia for months and today I got a call back from Orange offering me a free upgrade, even though I'm less than 6 months into my contract.

So, if you want rid of your N80 complain and they'll upgrade it. I wanted one of the few that needed paying for - the SEW950i and paid £50 for it.

If anyone is planning on trying this let me know and I can tell you what to say!

This may be of help to someone.

Since I got my Nokia N80 it has been nothing but trouble and I have been constantly on at Orange to do something about it. Those who have one will understand. The only fault now is that the voicemail indicator is constantly displayed. This is a problem with the current Firmware and the Orange network. The issue has been with Nokia for months and today I got a call back from Orange offering me a free upgrade, even though I'm less than 6 months into my contract.

So, if you want rid of your N80 complain and they'll upgrade it. I wanted one of the few that needed paying for - the SEW950i and paid £50 for it.

If anyone is planning on trying this let me know and I can tell you what to say!

Buying a phone that has Orange, Vodafone, O2 or T-Mobile firmware will always give you issues? I have a N80 that is free of any firmware other than Nokia's and have had no troubles with it what so ever?

If you get a mobile phone, you must avoid companies like these as thay always give you issues with firmware. Go to an independant dealer for a contract and these issues will reduce ten fold.

I know for a fact that Orange said there wasn't a V4 firmware update for the N80 when mines was already updated to this via a Nokia shop.

Orange are terrible, T-Mobile are terrible and the other that slap all their own firmware on mobile phones are best avoided.

GO TO AN INDEPENDANT DEALER TO GET THE BEST OUT OF YOUR MOBILE PHONE?

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying, but before upgrading to the latest Orange firmware I had the unbranded Nokia version which had the same problem. The only reason I put the new Orange one on there was because they said it fixed this problem...

Are you on Orange with the N80? Does your voicemail icon stick?

I'm now thinking about cancelling the w950i I've ordered and going for an SPV M3100 instead. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Hi Herbs,

I got my N80 from the carphone warehouse (Nokia firmware) on O2 network. As I said before, I have had no issues with it what so ever? I do admit it's not the best phone on the market but I think it's fine and it does what I expect of a phone? I'm sure Carlos had O2 firmware on his N80 and had issues getting V4 firmware. Nokia released this firmware long before any of the branded versions admitted there was a problem with the original Nokia firmware (I.e. Bluetooth issues) That to me seems strange? Nokia release an update but company branded phones refuse to recognise it?

I have had many Nokia's during my contract with the carphone warehouse, so I guess I'm stuck in my ways with them......lol. I do like Sony Ericsson phone too.

I guess it's down to personal preference?

No issues with the N80 here though mate?

Last edited:
ive got n80, and hate the damn thing

i do have that voice mail logo sometimes, does my head in

but just upgraded to k800i (little old but very good phone)

did you get to keep your n80?

Yeah I did get to keep it.

I'd been ringing them for months complaining that I never know if I have voicemail because the symbol is always there. Up until when I spoke to them last there was no fix. The fix they suggest now is to upgrade to their latest FW which came out sometime in January (I think). Well that upgrade made no difference, so they advised I put the sim in another Orange phone (which I said I had to go to an Orange shop to do) and to leave a message, and then delete it. That got rid of the symbol - until I got another voicemail.

So - Tell them you've had the symbol for months and it won't go away.
Tell them you are running the latest update from nokia.com.
Tell them you can get rid of it by putting the sim in another phone, but it comes back.
Tell them that your job requires you to turn you phone off a lot and it's driving you mad having to check your answerphone every five minutes.
You need to insist on a call back from a manager as the person you talk to won't be able to help you.

I don't know if me calling them loads made any difference, but stand your ground and insist they do something about it. An upgrade after 6 months has to be worth taking.

Mmmmm. If I get voicemail, it says missed call. All I have to do is call 901 to retrieve it. No symbols popping up?????

It's a problem specific to Orange.
I get the cassette tape looking icon at the top right to indicate a new message, only it doesn't ever go away.

Anybody not lucky enough to get an upgrade and having problems just needs to update their firmware, but not through the normal update service.

I upgrade any tha we have in for repair / service (with customer permission) to the Internet edition. Works a treat.

My second hand N80 had O2 firmware originally, and it was pants, nearly sold it. IE edition runs tomtom for a few hours every day along with several other apps. Never had a problem yet.

Ive never had any problems with the N80 in fact I think its a great phone, a great size for a smart phone and a great size to run TomTom on. Most the problems you seem to have had are all really down to Firmware, if you had updated the firmware you probably wouldnt have had any issues.

With the Orange voicemail symbol, I had that on quite a few phones which wouldnt go away including Samsungs... Usually all you do is send your self a voicemail, dial the voicemail box number, listen to the full message and delete the message, wait till it says Message Deleted and then hang up. If you do it all too fast then you dont give the Orange system a chance to send the codes to the phone to remove the Voicemail symbol.

The networks send a specially formatted message to activate and deactivate these icons on the handset, if they are not doing this properly its not really the phones fault, it happens on a lot of phones and its a problem with the way Orange voicemail works.

As the phones get smarter there will be little bugs, going from a Symbian phone to a Microsoft phone, im sure you will experience a few problems with the SPV range :)

Last edited:
Anybody not lucky enough to get an upgrade and having problems just needs to update their firmware, but not through the normal update service.

I upgrade any tha we have in for repair / service (with customer permission) to the Internet edition. Works a treat.

My second hand N80 had O2 firmware originally, and it was pants, nearly sold it. IE edition runs tomtom for a few hours every day along with several other apps. Never had a problem yet.

could you give us any info on how we can update our phones to the Internet edition plz

Back