optical outlet from TM5402 M2

ou toppie

Reaction score
Good day all, hope someone can help.
I am trying to set up my wifi headphones using an optical cable from the outlet on the 5402 to the wifi sender of the headphones but can get no sound output.
After plugging in the optical cable to the 5402 the other end shows the required red glow but when I plug it into the wifi sender there is no sound output.
Are there some settings to be made on the 5402?
I have scart coupled to dvd recorder and then scart from dvdr to tv, I also have hdmi from 5402 direct to tv for when I am not using dvdr.
Any help gratefully accepted.
Thanks
ou toppie

The TM5402 M3 can do wifi with the correct wifi dongle, but I don't think that is the issue here, as it appears it is the headphone sender that uses wifi.

The 5402 M3 does have a digital audio option in the A/V settings; PCM or Dolby Digital. So if one doesn't work, try the other! I have on occasions used the optical o/p on the 5402 successfully with soundbars and the like, so you shouldn't have any problems.
If you still have no joy, try a different source, like a DVD player or decent CD player to check whether or not it's the headphone system playing up. I have also found that some equipments don't work with the longer (2m+) optical leads due to losses.

Hi trevertron and dave_c, thanks for the replies. trevertron is correct it is the headfone sender which uses the wifi.
I have checked my 5402 m2 and the a/v options are Dolbyspdif or pcm or dolbyhdmi.
It is set on dolbyspdif now so I will give the other 2 a try tomorrow and see if either of them will send a signal.
thanks again

I think trevertron is referring to the 5402 m3 , I was under the impression that you had a 5402 m2 which as far as I know does not have wifi drivers

I think trevertron is referring to the 5402 m3 , I was under the impression that you had a 5402 m2 which as far as I know does not have wifi drivers

Doesn't need them Dave. The sound comes from the spdif socket of the box, the sender and headphones are wireless.

Doesn't need them Dave. The sound comes from the spdif socket of the box, the sender and headphones are wireless.
Yes that is correct.
Many thanks all, I have changed the a/v setting on the 5402 to PCM and all is now good.

Slightly off topic: my 5402 is now 4 years old and has never been "patched", is it necessary to have it patched or is it best to "if nothing is broken keep it going"
Thanks

Yes that is correct. I have now changed the a/v setting to PCM and all is good.
Thanks everyone.
Slightly off topic: my 5402 is now almost 4 years old and has never been patched. Is it necessary if it is working ok?
Thanks

Yes that is correct. I have now changed the a/v setting to PCM and all is good.
Thanks everyone.
Slightly off topic: my 5402 is now almost 4 years old and has never been patched. Is it necessary if it is working ok?
Thanks

Not really. If it does everything you want it to do best left as is. Patching is mostly for descrambling encrypted signals.

Back