Optical Digital Audio to speakers

CrazyFool

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm mounting my TV to the wall. Dont want the sound to go through the wall into the neighbours house so I want to kill the internal speakers and route the audio to speakers on the other side of the room.

Any advice please?
I dont have a headphone jack, only Optical Digital Audio. I dont want to invest in a sound bar or a media player of any sort, I dont want to control the audio with another remote. I want my cake and want to eat it too :D

You want your speakers at the other end of the room from the television? :eek:

Hi Guys
I'm mounting my TV to the wall. Dont want the sound to go through the wall into the neighbours house so I want to kill the internal speakers and route the audio to speakers on the other side of the room.

Any advice please?
I dont have a headphone jack, only Optical Digital Audio. I dont want to invest in a sound bar or a media player of any sort, I dont want to control the audio with another remote. I want my cake and want to eat it too :D
you can get a bluetooth reciever/transmitter if your tv /soundbar aint already got it

Hi Guys

Any advice please?

what are the speakers connected to?

Thanks for the replys fellas

You want your speakers at the other end of the room from the television? :eek:
Not on the other side of the room per se, just stereo speakers, one on other side of the sofa.

you can get a bluetooth reciever/transmitter if your tv /soundbar aint already got it
What do you connect the bluetooth transmitter to? I've not got a 3.5mm audio jack on the back of the tellie. Only toslink/digital optical audio out

what are the speakers connected to?
Nothing at the moment, not even purchased them :D

Cheers

connect your transmitter via toslink about 20/25 quid +cable but then you need bluetoooth speakers jobs a good un

you sure you aint got a 3.5mm connection on the tv,sometimes hard to see,have another look

Thanks boys.
Yup. I've checked and double checked. no 3.5mm to be seen on the tv.
I dont fancy the wireless route as I've already got copper wire routed all the way round the room under the carpet, just need the speakers and amplifier.

Anywho, I had a quick look at my dvd player and found this:
IMG_20180228_230323.jpg
IMG_20180228_230338.jpg

Can I run an optical cable from the tv to the dvd player, and then an analogue cable from the dvd player to the speakers?
Will this work?
Will I then have to control the audio from the dvd player and not the tv?

Thanks again

CF

Doesn't work that way @CrazyFool. The optical ports come in 2 flavours, transmitter or receiver. The tv optical is invariably a receiver where it can receive signals from devices such as your dvd which will have a transmitting optical port.
You would use the optical port from whichever type of stb you have connected to your tv but ideally would have to go into an amplifier to drive your external speakers.

I see.
Thanks for the reply buddy.
Would this work?:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073Y866J5/?tag=amazonmick223-21

How would I control audio?
Would it kill the TVs internal speakers?

Thanks

CF

Thanks boys.
Yup. I've checked and double checked. no 3.5mm to be seen on the tv.
I dont fancy the wireless route as I've already got copper wire routed all the way round the room under the carpet, just need the speakers and amplifier.

Anywho, I had a quick look at my dvd player and found this:
IMG_20180228_230323.jpg
IMG_20180228_230338.jpg

Can I run an optical cable from the tv to the dvd player, and then an analogue cable from the dvd player to the speakers?
Will this work?
Will I then have to control the audio from the dvd player and not the tv?

Thanks again

CF

wont work m8, "tv" is optical audio "out" , dvd is audio output connections only ??--------------you need audio inputs like whats on an amplifier

{ie, tv optical output to amp optical input etc etc}

Last edited:
Oh well. Back to the drawing board then lol.
What are my options?
I need to kill the TV speakers and need to have the audio controllable through a remote.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board then lol.
What are my options?
I need to kill the TV speakers and need to have the audio controllable through a remote.

you dont mention the make and model number of your tv ??????? some tv's allow you to disable the internal speakers if useing the optical port {check the tv settings m8 ??}

should work with the optical to rca converter if you can ??. do a search for twin optical optical input to rca converter if you want to connect your dvd aswell

i should mention, some tv's have fixed audio on the optical out and 3.5 jack, so you can't control the the audio from the tv's remote anyway m8

do a check on your tv's audio outputs ??? {otherwise you need an external device like an amp, or optical to rca with a knob to control the audio}

Last edited:
i should mention, some tv's have fixed audio on the optical out ...

All optical out is at a fixed level. You can’t alter the volume of ones and zeros.

A tv volume control can only alter toslink volume if it has an hdmi-cec link to an external device.

All optical out is at a fixed level. You can’t alter the volume of ones and zeros.

A tv volume control can only alter toslink volume if it has an hdmi-cec link to an external device.

haha. yes your right m8, {my setupup is an lg with hdmi-cec link}---i always thought optical was variable depending on manufacturer, thanks for letting me know

Back