OpenWRT

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I made the switch from DD-wrt to Openwrt on my router. First glance I felt it wasn't as feature full as DD-Wrt but i persevered with it and found you could add software modules to it easily from the inbuilt software section. There are loads of software modules too many to mention and most, if not all, i don't even know what they do.

Easy to install, but not as intuitive as DD-wrt, well setting up the wireless was different, not hard, but different but - once i figured it out it was kinda easy. I did have to install Upnp from the software section and activate which only taken seconds. It has an option to install an adblocker with gui ( you have to add the adblocker module then add the gui for the module) then choose your blocktype and activate.

Does anyone else use this? Can anyone suggest other software modules they find handy and useful?

been looking at openwrt but havent switched yet. just been doing read ups.

letus know how you get on..

I have been using openwrt for 5+ years now, excellent if you have a router to run it. Thousands of packages to enhance the basic features. Easy to compile your own images and very easy to customize.

You will need a half decent router tho with more than 8mb of flash ideally and at least 128mb memory, more if you plan to use it anything more than a home router.

If you have an ASUS router, ASUS user with handle "Merlin" has created a WRT variant specific to ASUS router models. He does a great job keeping it up-to-date as ASUS releases new firmware. Highly recommended...

as per my other post, anyone else noticed if these custom firmware can cause bottleneck on your WAN speeds

my TPLink DDWRT only gives me 150 Mb/sec where as if I bypass the ddwrt router and plug directly into SH I get 350 Mb/sec

curious if others have experienced same issue

Back