openVPN on Vu solo2 a lot slower than on PC

chris02

Reaction score
I have PIA open vpn set up for NL on VuSolo2 and its giving download speeds of around 15mb/sec, when I disconnect from the vpn its giving me my normal 60+. If I connect my pc (not using Open vpn) to the same PIA NL I get around 60.

Any suggestions as to why the open vpn is so much slower?

Any help appreciated.

My guess is its the router your connected to that is only allowing that speed.

VPN takes up a lot of Router resources memory mainly and thats most likely your Bootle neck. But it could also be your OpenVPN source that has a bandwidth restriction.

My guess is its the router your connected to that is only allowing that speed.

VPN takes up a lot of Router resources memory mainly and thats most likely your Bootle neck. But it could also be your OpenVPN source that has a bandwidth restriction.

So I assume setting up vpn on a dd wrt access point then connecting the Vu to that would be a better option to open vpn on the box?

Not really if it end up going through a router as they do limit the bandwidth. Youll need a router with fast cpu and memory to max out your isp speed on through a vpn tunnel and then it will still depend on what the VPN provider is capable of.

Not really if it end up going through a router as they do limit the bandwidth. Youll need a router with fast cpu and memory to max out your isp speed on through a vpn tunnel and then it will still depend on what the VPN provider is capable of.

OK many thanks

Been doing some digging and thinking I could keep my billion 8800 modem router, run it as a modem and add ASUS RT-N66U 802.11a/b/g/n Dual Band 450 Mbps Multimedia Ultra Slim Gigabit Wireless Router Support VPN Server, USB Storage, Print and Media Server. Would this increase my download speeds via openvpn?

Been doing some digging and thinking I could keep my billion 8800 modem router, run it as a modem and add ASUS RT-N66U 802.11a/b/g/n Dual Band 450 Mbps Multimedia Ultra Slim Gigabit Wireless Router Support VPN Server, USB Storage, Print and Media Server. Would this increase my download speeds via openvpn?
Good way to do it flash with merlin firmware...

Good way to do it flash with merlin firmware...

Ended up getting the Linksys 1900 ACS for which dd wrt will load but since installing, open vpn is running at a higher speed, so all working at the moment thanks.

Back