Opening somebody elses mail is it an offense??

bambam

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys i want to know if it is an offence to open somebody elses mail. Because my b###### neigbours just posted my mail fom last week and it was all open and ripped through my letterbox. I had confidential letters there like a rent reciept and phone bill. I phone up royal mail and they promised me it wont hapen again and they will let the area manager be aware of this. I want to no if its an offense 2 open up somebody elses mail because if it is i am considering contacting the police.I mean wat if my neigbour is and id fraudster. any suggestions or comments would be very grateful.

yes its an offense...you can't tamper with mail that isnt addressed to you...tho they could claim they accidently opened any letters

Interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84

Triable Summarily (Magistrates court)
6 Months and or a fine (Max)

A person commits an offence if they without reasonable excuse intentionally delay or open a postal packet in the course of transmission by post or intentionally opens a mail bag.

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.

If you work for the Post service you could commit other offences under Section 83 triable either way (Magistrates or Crown court) and get a sentence of 2 years and or a fine.

but as arbelos has said it going to be hard to prove there did not open it by accidently

thanks 4 da info lads. I think i will leave it for da time being. But if they do it again i will definatly contact the police regardless of the outcome. I mean i need my privacy.

Im sure it was prob an accident if it wasn't im sure they wouln't have went to the trouble to post it throu your letter box. I have to admit im guilty of when the mail just comes throu in my house i just open it even the other halfs letters she does the same we have nothing to hide from each other maybe they are the same.I accidently opened mail for the previous owners once it was just junk mail so binned it so i usually check the front now make sure it is actually for us.

Back