OpenBox receiver s16 for north america setup - fta coming up scrambled

bballjunkie1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie. Looking for North American user comments. Recently set up a dish looking for FTA using Open Box s16 receiver. Ok for starting out and willing to change or expand. I have strong signal on 119w and it pulls in 70+ channels, but even with the FTA Yes setting, they are coming up scrambled. I figured a couple would show up available for view. So far nothing.

Is there some set up I missed? Setup manual has requested 119w, 110w, 129w for the fixed tri-lnbf Dish PRO D1000.2 EA/WA dish. Signal at 90%. Any recommendation welcome for changing to different equipment or different satellites. Regards basketball junkie1

First of all the Open Box S16 is a door stopper, it is what your getting a free view box, the cams in the firmware do not work.

All the other Open Boxes work fine but the S16 has a different chip and the firmware is faulty, no update has ever solved the problem and I think they have give up, the chinese 2.8 is the last one I know of and that did not fix the problem either.

The odd movie channel clears but 90% HD kids and docs do not work with newcamd or cccam.

Just sell your S16 box and buy a new F3 or a older openbox model.

I bought one from Techker's in the uk and he would not refund me, he ignored my email's so I sold it on ebay for £20 I was gutted lost £40 all together now I make sure I do my re-search before I buy lol.

Last edited:
I appreciate the candid thoughts. I got 1 channel to display in the mini-box info from the satellite dish company. Much like a youtube video but a sales pitc. I have the dish in a temporary location, that if I walk in front of it, the signal fades. So good news is that the sales signal is coming in.

The channel info area says ch-480, 3944/h/20000 pid 5922/5923/5922. I wonder what this means? I can't get it to full screen though, just the mini display. Dish Network system is the sales buzz along with buy this movie stuff.

Long story from me, but not only did I buy something to hold a door open, but also a dish that has me forced to a single company service. It was advertised as FTA usage but it seems like it has all stations "scrambled".

What are your thoughts about wrong dish, wrong receiver, wrong country? Hard to move out of the chicago area, though. Easier to learn and buy new equipment.

Recommendations education points welcome. Regards John

A sat dish just send's a signal to your box, All dishes are the same just think of them like a radio or tv ariel, It,s the box that needs set up to receive the signal and unscramble the pay per view channels, or simply receive the free to view channels available to which ever satellite your dish is pointed at.

Make sure your dish is set up to point at the right satellite you want to receive, then when you turn your box on make sure to goto setting's then scan transponder satellite etc etc and select the one your dish is pointing at, check signal strength before you scan it should be around 85% mark to receive a decent signal.

Then wait for the channels to scan in you should get a couple of hundred most scrambled but about 50 free view.

Hope this help's

Thank you. It does help. Good to hear that a new dish wasn't the solution. I will reset from 119w location to another fixed spot if needed. It is currently Anik F3 & EchoStar 14 at 119.0°W. 90% quality on Anik. There were suppose to be some fta viewing but from the 80+ scanned, all were scrambled. Assuming the receiver is working ok.

I haven't figured out what the 3944/h/20000 pid 5922/5923/5922 codes represent, though.

Let me know if another location is suggested.

I did purchase the Skybox F3 on your suggestion to swap out the Openbox S16. The S16 was the second one I tried. The first was Koka fta 1209 receiver, that one turns on and shuts off within seconds. A flash of the menu and terminates. A smaller door stop. Looks like ebay will get a couple never-used xx barely-used receivers.

Regards

bballjunkie1

"I haven't figured out what the 3944/h/20000 pid 5922/5923/5922 codes represent, though"

Just channel info every channel is different I would forget about that at the present time you say you have "Anik F3 & EchoStar 14 at 119.0°W. 90% quality"

Anik F3 @ 119° West - frequencies - freq - channels - packages :: TrackSat.com

check this site out I can only see 10 FTA channels listed on 119W

Sat channel's.JPG

Again thanks for the comments. I picked the 119w location based on dish installation instruction. I did notice that 10 are listed as FTA, but all 10 come up as "scrambled", thus I assume either bad setup, bad receiver, inaccurate fta listing,etc. I did review the youtube and also found some other videos too. I will try the Hot bird and Optus as suggested.

What I did notice on this S15 receiver, was a dropdown list of the 3944/h/20000 stuff. It originally was "Scrambled", but as I started at the bottom of 40 items, one of them "3944" jumped and registered a connection. The sales presentation came thru. Yippie was my statement, but hard to go thru every 3944 item per channel to get a display.

Maybe it is this s16 receiver making it hard.

Great lessons today from you. Thanks for the hobby interest. Glad to repay you in RC airplane crashing techniques or slot car performance tips. Regards John

I hope you realize those sats are nagra3 encrypted and nothing but promos are true fta.The mini pic was channel 100 or something that is intended for real dishnetwork receivers as a preview of whats on for a handful of channels.

Having a look at that should your dish not be pointing at Hot Bird 13A or Optus D2 looks like you would get some channels then.

forget getting those,wrong side of the earth.
For north america you have to aim 61w to 148w,depending on the part of the country your at.

people will see why we don't complain when a receiver has "only a 5000 channel memory"
Some sats like 85w have nothing on them.

forget getting those,wrong side of the earth.
For north america you have to aim 61w to 148w,depending on the part of the country your at.

Looks like I had my head up my backside up side down lol, oh well I am sure he is on the right track now. I thought America would have thousands of freeview channels and sat options. More options then most anyway, some of there home made sat system's on youtube are massive the size of my house some of them :mad:)

74w had nothing on it and they moved it to 85e a couple of years ago to make some money with it.

I thought America would have thousands of freeview channels and sat options. More options then most anyway, some of there home made sat system's on youtube are massive the size of my house some of them :mad:)
I wish you were right, but a great deal of money is spent to make sure that there is very little that remains free in North America. Which is why those sats are so huge. I live in a rural area, and a lot of my friends insist that a Big Ugly Dish is the only way to go.

A lot of buds were sent to the crusher years ago when scrap prices were high.
I used to see a lot of them on rooftops and in yards.
I can drive around town now and not see any.

some of the new bud prices are like the 1980's and the shipping prices will kill you.I have seen prices in the $100 per foot range.

Actually, I didn't know much about nagra3 encrypted, but thank you for an item to read about. I suspect someday, I will get subscriptions to various channels and figuring out the usefulness of cardsharing. I am not ready for that yet, nor any interest in the hacking sport.

Just looking for unscrambled public PBS type (ok if it is religious channels) from the Chicago location in order to learn how the receivers and dish motors operate. So far I have Hot Bird 13A or Optus D2 as suggestions not yet attempted. Weekend project to point that direction. My motor is not yet hooked up. Last attempt on the motor had it pointing upside-down who-knows-where. Sticking with manual movement for the time. Learning activity.

Suggestions are welcome. Regards John

my favorites are 72w for nbc and weather channel feeds,and 83w for rtv and tuff.
97w has the homesick channels for people from europe/asia/middle east

Back