open vpn not an option on dd-wrt

im trying to follow a tut on setting up a vpn account on my secondary router however the tut says to enable open vpn client however this is not an option on my dd-wrt router. is there anoter tut out there that explains what i should do to ave this option available.

regards.

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Have you asked your VPN provider for help? I found OpenVPN very helpful, SmartDNS were also spot on helping a friend set up her Firestick.

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Even better. Ask them before you sign up, they'll be eating out of your hand!

stillwaitng at the moment for a response from ipvanish as to where when and how I should be able to access the openvpn option on my router.

You don't mention what make and model router you have with DD-Wrt installed. I mention this as not all routers are capeable of running Openvpn and therefore some versions of DD-Wrt don't even have that as an option. You may end up having to reflash your router with an Openvpn enabled version, if it's compatible with Openvpn in the first place, replace your router with another that is compatible with Openvpn or simply not use Openvpn at all and just use L2TP protocol instead.
Let us know what you have to begin with.

turner brown

VIP Member
VIP Member
router might not have the memory for the ddwrt with vpn function and that's why its not an option with the version of ddwrt

The install instructions for your router are here...Netgear WNR2000V2 - DD-WRT Wiki

Half way down the page it has a heading of "Update 2015/03/25" and there it mentions that it can be flashed with a special mini-build, as it has less than 4mb to play with, that supports Openvpn, this file is called "dd-wrt.v24-26490_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin".

Check to see if this is the firmware you have installed first, if not then you may have to re-flash it with the above firmware in order to enable any kind of Openvpn support with this router.

Also, this router is old and outdated, it's cpu is rated at 300Mhz, which means that it will severely limit your data throughput when cascaded off of your standard broadband router, so you might well get Openvpn up and running but don't expect any blistering speeds ;)

TEST