open source linux ?

ellie1998

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just been looking on the technomate website it states that the tm500, 600 and 800 models are open source linux so does anyone know where the sources are ?

Dreamboxes are popular because they are open sourced and the sources can be found with a search as can the sources for the coolstream box (can't find many reviews on the coolstream positive or negative).

I am getting a motorised system next month and will be looking for a hd box later in the year but only interested in an open source linux box not a box running linux with closed source code pretending to be open source as is claimed on the website.

The 'open source' code is highly guarded secret and not open to any public development. Technomate use the term 'open source' differently to the rest of the industry. By 'open source' they actually mean its closed source firmware which only they can develope.

tbh, all these boxes contain closed source code, even dreamboxes. Technomate are just more closed than is normal for linux.

Come to think of it though, it may be possible to force them to release a major chunk of code. If its linux then it will be covered by the GPL.

I can understand the tm800 not being public yet as the images are still alpha's but the tm500 and 600 have been out for ages now.

Oh well will have to look to another manufacturer

While I do have a bit of a play with this stuff, wouldn't the GPL cover the foundation of the code? Even the openPLi source cannot be downloaded in its entirety, you start the build process 'remotely' and an hour later you have an image. The main source files, that contain drivers etc for the main processors etc is closely guarded, as once this is out, the Chinese clones start to appear.

This may not be totally right, but its how I see it, is it possible to decompile an image?

While I do have a bit of a play with this stuff, wouldn't the GPL cover the foundation of the code? Even the openPLi source cannot be downloaded in its entirety, you start the build process 'remotely' and an hour later you have an image. The main source files, that contain drivers etc for the main processors etc is closely guarded, as once this is out, the Chinese clones start to appear.

I don't follow this, I have bought dreambox clones and the software is 98% of the time a gemini image. I was lead to believe that they copied the hardware then used existing software (dm500 clone, eagle box, openmedia box). Never seen a linux box that has been cloned and had tailored software on it as it defeats the purpose of it being a clone using standard software.

When they sort out the tm800 any clones will use existing tm800 images so the ability to compile your own images has nothing to do with hardware copying.

I respect technomates rights to keep it's software secret but then that would mean they lie in their advertising as it says for the tm500 and tm600
Open Source Linux Satellite
and for the tm800
Open Source Linux Satellite HD +

It's either open source or it's a secret they can't have it both ways.

Even dream multimedia keep some code secret head.ko is always pre compiled this is to be expected as they are entitled to keep some bit's to themselves but technomate are giving the impression that you can build your own images for the box and it's a blatant misrepresentation and makes me question their business ethics, I can't fault their knowledge of the market place so it must be a lack of ethics from the company itself.

This may not be totally right, but its how I see it, is it possible to decompile an image?

It may be possible to decompile an image but I wanted to compile from their code and play with it myself.

It's not a problem as I said I will have to reconsider my options and look to a different box that doesn't misrepresent what it's equipment is for. I rarely watch tv I just like playing with images. I have a v+ box with full package to watch any tv that catches my interest. The sat dish and future hd box were just toys to play with so for me open source must mean open source.

Last edited:
What confuses me is that they are using Open PLi as their source, so how can it be closed source when it is built on open source code? :err:

They would be using OpenPli as their main code but using there own hardware drivers i.e. video,usb etc as well as some of there own plugins which they have yet to release the source code for.

At least thats my understanding of it anyway.

They irony of this is that they are actually hampering there own boxes further development and popularity :(

Unfortunately, a lot of the driver code has to be kept closed source due to arrangements with the chipset manufacturers.. Even the PowerPC chip used in a dreambox is subject to non-disclosure contracts by IBM. Not quite sure what the reasoning is behind this but I'd guess that most of these chips contain implementations of some technology controlled by yet another party. If I had to guess I'd say its probably something to do with either the CSA decoder block or the Mpeg decoder block but thats just a guess.

ellie if your looking for an open source HD box

i would highly reccomend a vu+ duo from what i have played with

runs egnima 2, fast and althouh not the most esthetically pleasing, have not heard a bad work about it since its release..

the tm 800 has seem to be a let down from its annoucment ( releace date changing, delayed relaseses, then the open source nature of it, along side extremly buggy and restrictive opening f/w)

is it possible to decompile an image?

You could disassemble one but it will not very easy to understand. You might be able to get a feel if you can attach a debugger to a box and step through the code.

I think there is some code that is loaded to the MPEG decoder (there will be some configuration at least) but the CSA is a hardware implementation, it is one of the features that kept it secret for so long. It might be possible to get a development kit for this.

Is the DBOX source available? I read that Dreambox software was ported from it.

I'm interested in this if I can be of any help :).

Anyone got a library or binary of some description for me to peek at?

ARM based CPU?

I was under the impression that under the linux GNU general public license anyone who takes and modifes the linux os or any part of it is obliged to provide the source code to anyone who wants it :err:

I was under the impression that under the linux GNU general public license anyone who takes and modifes the linux os or any part of it is obliged to provide the source code to anyone who wants it :err:

If the modules you write are dynamically linked you wouldn't have to provide source code.

Is the box software even GPL? It could be LGLP.

Apparently the licensing is a bit of a legal minefield. You don't always have to provide source code for your bits.

PLF_logo.jpg

You could disassemble one but it will not very easy to understand. You might be able to get a feel if you can attach a debugger to a box and step through the code.

I think there is some code that is loaded to the MPEG decoder (there will be some configuration at least) but the CSA is a hardware implementation, it is one of the features that kept it secret for so long. It might be possible to get a development kit for this.

Is the DBOX source available? I read that Dreambox software was ported from it.

I'm interested in this if I can be of any help :).

The dbox source and the dreambox source neutrino and enigma1 are the same you just change the options in ./configure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need these packages

- cvs
- autoconf
- automake
- libtool
- gettext
- make
- makeinfo (texinfo)
- tar
- bunzip2 (bzip2)
- gunzip (gzip)
- patch
- infocmp (ncurses-bin / ncurses-devel)
- gcc
- g++
- flex
- bison
- pkg-config
- wget
- libpng2 or libpng3 (DirectFB)
- ftpd (or other ftp server)

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
The ./configure options are plenty nowadays I use (dm500)

Code:

the

Code:

Code:
Then to make the image
Code:

Back