Online Harrassment?

MA

Childrens but still respected
Reaction score
A friend of mine is having a bit of bother with some idiots who keep spamming his forum with silly and sometimes VERY OFFENSIVE posts. He has tried IP bans, but they perpetrators have dynamic IP's. He has also tried talking to them, but they refuse to stop.

He wants this harrassment to end. Are there any laws against this? If so, what authorities can/should he contact? The Police? Can he get some sort of harrassment suit filed?

Please reply with any ideas, my friends needs urgent help. Last time this happened, he had to shut the site down, and start a new one :(

MA said:
A friend of mine is having a bit of bother with some idiots who keep spamming his forum with silly and sometimes VERY OFFENSIVE posts. He has tried IP bans, but they perpetrators have dynamic IP's. He has also tried talking to them, but they refuse to stop.

He wants this harrassment to end. Are there any laws against this? If so, what authorities can/should he contact? The Police? Can he get some sort of harrassment suit filed?

Please reply with any ideas, my friends needs urgent help. Last time this happened, he had to shut the site down, and start a new one :(

tell him to get the range of the ips and ban the whole range m8 that will stop em
put the whole range into hiss firewall or better still into peerguardian

Last edited:
ban the names they registered under then close membership for a little while stop them re-registering. not sure if you can do anything on the legal side but im sure mickie will know if you can

Thanks for the suggestions, i've passed them on.

But i reckon these will only work in the short term, but is there anything else he can do, on the legal side of things?

how is registration to the site ???

does he have email verification where members have to recieve an email to activate there account ?,, he should this will enable him to tell which free address they are using and block it (i.e hotmail.com)

there is loads he can do, i know what i would do with there ip's but im not going into that kinda stuff lol,

if they are using proxies it makes it a bit tuffer but you can always block the proxy ip, and what most people dont know is not all proxies are 100% annon and can be traced with good software

but if they use there own ip (dynamic or static) tell your friend to report them to the ISP, phone the ISP etc.

best bet is the email solution because he can always suggest to hotmail yahoo the likes that this member is using there accounts to spam message boards and give them the list he has joined under (and believe me you might not think it but these email companies are very strict about spam and ISP aswell).... you need to think about what you can do about it first what channels....

Back