One for the tv repair techs

IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
MY Daughter has a 50 lg LCD tv. She said the screen had been flickering at the bottom over the last few weeks it has now went black. Got sound bit no picture hdmi smart av etc. Anything obvious or is she better to bin it as it's about 5 years old?

Chances are it's one (or some) of the LED backlights. They're wired in series (like the old xmas tree lights) so if one goes open circuit they all go out.
Fiddly job and quite risky on a 50" as you need to remove the LCD panel from the display without bending it too much.
Then you need to decide whether to replace just the dead LED(s) or the whole lot; the latter being the preferable option as more will likely go before long.
If it's a decent set and you fancy having a go I'd go for it. But if it's a cheapo branded Vestel effort it might want to go the journey to the big TV unit in the sky.

Check the barcodes on the label at the back. If you see 4 of the long numbers are inside a rectangle or box then it's a Vestel. Sometimes but not always you will see it was produced in Turkey if it's Vestel.
I envy you having the opportunity of tackling it as a project. I'm tearing my hair out here. Repaired my laptop that has been sitting for 3 years just because I needed to use the webcam for online identification and in the process of upgrading a pc to give to one of my grandson's.

If you take it on ensure you have loads of clear space. When you strip the display there will be polarised sheets/filters which only work one way. Ensure they go back exactly as you remove them.
As Trev said don't bother replacing only the faulty ones, the strips aren't so expensive and the type needed are clearly marked on the originals.

Plenty of videos on youtube to help you. I agree with Trev though, if it's Vestel it's primarily a throw away.

Wonder who said life was good with LG as was going to buy one years ago and told not to as they have issues like above,any tv i have had was in use for 10 - 15 yrs and upgraded to another and they worked.Panasonic,Pioneer and now Sony Oled.
Agree the amount of you tube fixes for tvs is unbelievable.This is what i love beating the crap fix.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wonder who said life was good with LG as was going to buy one years ago and told not to as they have issues like above,any tv i have had was in use for 10 - 15 yrs and upgraded to another and they worked.Panasonic,Pioneer and now Sony Oled.
Agree the amount of you tube fixes for tvs is unbelievable.This is what i love beating the crap fix.

That's why our workshop was always round the back ;)

Thanks guys had a quick check over ribbons and cooked the mother board for 10mins as per YouTube still same looks like its what you said. Going for scrap now she's bought a new one.

Thanks guys had a quick check over ribbons and cooked the mother board for 10mins as per YouTube still same looks like its what you said. Going for scrap now she's bought a new one.

😂 😂😂

Hopefully a better one with a long warranty.
Dont know if she still has it but do people need these for spares?

I got an LG off my mate with the same symptoms a while back,replaced the led strips and now I've got a 47" smart tv for £40.Dead easy to fix too

Back