on a diet and its not workin..heres mayb how

wilson1980

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i go to the gym and have been tryin to shed some belly fat off me and 10 month later i start readin how im not really losin anything.dont get is wrong ive toned up and that but knowin this 10 month ago would have helped me.heres a few pointers

Protein

Protein is an extremely important part of all diet plans. That's why you have most likely never heard of any
low protein diets, and also why you probably HAVE heard of protein supplements. That's because your body needs protein,
and lots of it. It is the building block of muscle. Protein is measured by the gram. 1 gram of protein is equal to
4 calories. So, if you are eating something that has 20 grams of protein in it, that means that whatever you are
eating is at least 80 calories. In case you failed 2nd grade math, that was 20 grams of protein multiplied by 4 calories
per gram... 20 x 4 = 80

Carbs

Carbs (or "carbohydrates" for the people who don't mind typing 8 extra letters)
is another of the three main elements that make up calories. I have a feeling that of the three,
carbs are the most confusing for people creating diet plans. I think the reason for that is because everything
you enjoy eating has carbs in it. Hell, everything you don't enjoy eating has carbs in it. Carbs are in almost
everything and therefore seem to be the hardest for people to manipulate within a diet plan. Just like protein,
1 gram of carbs is equal to 4 calories. So, if you were eating something that had 20 grams of protein and 10 grams of carbs,
you just ate at least 120 calories (20x4=80, 10x4=40, 80+40=120calories).

Fat

Unlike protein and carbs which are both 4 calories per gram, 1 gram of fat is equal to 9 calories.
So if you eat something that has 10 grams of fat in it, you just ate at least 90 calories.
This explains why high protein foods are usually low in calories, while foods high in fat are high in calories.
This is also probably the reason why there are so many fat free foods and why people on diets think fat makes them fat.
Guess what... it doesn't. That is a myth.

Fat does not make you fat. Eating too many calories makes you fat.
It just so happens that a gram of fat has more calories in it than a gram of protein or carbs.
However, the only thing that makes a person gain fat is when that person is eating more calories
than their maintenance level, and then not burning them off through working out. Whether these excess calories in your
diet plan are coming from protein, carbs or fat makes little difference.

Sometimes people on specific weight loss diet plans just try to eat less fat (or even fat free)
and think that alone will work. What they don't realize is that they are probably replacing those fat calories with calories
from protein or carbs. Yes their fat intake has become lower, but their calorie intake evens back out to what it was,
if not more. And, since you now know that it is too much calories, NOT fat, that causes fat gain, the person's weight
usually won't decrease.

Eating the correct things and reduced portion size will help you lose weight.

My missus wasn't vastly overweight but wanted to get down to her recommended weight. She went to weight watchers for 7 months and lost nearly 2 stone in that time. She's now happy she's reached her target weight.

All she did was watched what she ate (& drank) and worked out the calories with the points calculator they give you.

Protein Suppliments will help your muscle repair but you will need to work extra hard to keep weight gain off your waist.....lol

Also remember that Muscle is heavier than fat!

yeah your right with that aswell.. thing is when i started doinn it people were like u should eat say 2500 cals aday and if u are still the same cut it by about 500 and c how u get on.certain things like that i would b like ok ill try that but untill now i know how cals work and what make them.the amount off times i would shop and look at index off thing..i thought protein and carbs were diffrent things but turns out thats what make cals as for the fat. the first thing i looked for is fat in things.the amount off things i put back was unreal when in fact i never really know what i was lookin for.at least now after knowin that above i can enjoy more things and just calculate things better

yeah your right with that aswell.. thing is when i started doinn it people were like u should eat say 2500 cals aday and if u are still the same cut it by about 500 and c how u get on.certain things like that i would b like ok ill try that but untill now i know how cals work and what make them.the amount off times i would shop and look at index off thing..i thought protein and carbs were diffrent things but turns out thats what make cals as for the fat. the first thing i looked for is fat in things.the amount off things i put back was unreal when in fact i never really know what i was lookin for.at least now after knowin that above i can enjoy more things and just calculate things better

I dont quite understand. So you're saying that its not the fat content of food thats important but the amount of Protein and Carbs contained within the food. Is this right?

And if so, how do you know how much protein and carbs are in a certain food, it doesnt tell you on the pack does it?

I dont quite understand. So you're saying that its not the fat content of food thats important but the amount of Protein and Carbs contained within the food. Is this right?

And if so, how do you know how much protein and carbs are in a certain food, it doesnt tell you on the pack does it?
actually, it does.

you can also look up this info on the internet as well for a lot of foods.

So, Wilson, what does or will your diet look like now?

I have been doing the plan on w.w.w.mensworkoutguide.com / otherwise know as the Spartan training AKA, the 'get ripped like Brad Pitt' workout. Yes, I do get the piss taken out of me for this:proud:

But it works, and what I like about it is the exersizes change every week, which for the first time ever kept me interested, and 3 months later I am still exersizing.

It's 3 days a week, one day on and one off, which I love aswell.

Proteine is major for building musle, and so is omega 3 & 6, which are found in fish and, well, cod liver oil pills AND for vegans, Flax seed oil (which is an edible version of linseed oil you rub on your snooker cues and cricket bats).

There was a deal at Holland and B which I just got the other day called Creatine, Should have been £30 for 250 pills and I got them for £9.99 - they are used by footie players and the like to supply more energy to muscles and provides them with the stuff to make them bigger...

I love the reaction from people who I havn't seen for awhile though, they have to do a double take and only one person asked me if I had been working out, the other just go green and the women go red:proud:

You won't shift belly fat from doing situps, you need to do cardio to shift the flab. I do something called HITT training on the exersize bike. Instead of going at it for 40 minutes or whatever, warm up, then go as fast as you can for a minute, then go medium paced for 2 mins, and repeat this 3 times, or more if you can take it... Doing this confuses your metobolism so it stays at a high rate.

If you just do cardio at a stedy pace day in and day out, then your body gets wise to it and your metobalism becomes more efficient!!! We don't want that, we want is to be 'overclocked' becasue we love curries and Caines bitter.

Failing this, fall in love with someone only for them to mess you up - I lost 1 and a half stone using this method in a month or 2, but it isn't recommended:love:

btw, the website mentioned above contains a reigeme which is HARDCORE and not recommened for people who are a bit older or very overweight.

Last edited:
thats a good reply there..as for my diet now..i just try and eat as much protein..i chop and change all the time..like 2day i had a shake for breakfast and a protein bar bout 10 o clock. i had a salad box at bout 11 with banana's and boiled eggs and beetroot with some cheese..yeah i know..cheese but hey it was only a little drop lol i later had tuna and sweetcorn in a bowl at bout 2 o clock and when i got home at 5.30 i made a chicken omelette and ive just had another shake there..pretty much the same every day..weekends i am a bit bad but its only now and again..as for exercise i play football sat and sunday but last 2 month ive done my ankle so runnins been out the window..i go to the gym mayb about 4 times a week and do some cardio and weight trainin..as for supplements..i take creatine and glutamine and flax oil, cod liver oils , amino acids,vit c , aloe vera caps( just started takin these there and a good super mutli vit..most off these i just got from holland and b aswell there durin the week..saved some pennies like...need to keep an eye out for the sale again..ggoing have a look on that site u gave there..going give your exercise bike a go aswell cause i know u have to chop and change every now and again..i normally do that with the runnin machine..2 mins fast , 1 min really fast and mayb 1 min slow and so on for about 20 mins..

i always thought fat was fat but over the last few months ive wondered more about what im doin wrong and decided to google it to understand it more..i know u need more protein for muscle and dependin on what your wantin..mayb u wanna look lean so u try and have less carbs and loads off protein..mayb u wanna bulk up so u increase things..but still keep protein up cause thats what builds your muscle..

what i was doin the day was lookin at the cals on the back off things and calculatin things and it made more sense now when i look at things..1 protien = 4 cals and 1 carb = 4 cals aswell where as the 1 fat = 9 carbs

so something with 143 cals-- it had like 25 grams off protein which makes up 100 off that and it had 6 carbs which took it to 124 and 2 gram off fat to make the rest..

i always thought fat was fat but over the last few months ive wondered more about what im doin wrong and decided to google it to understand it more..i know u need more protein for muscle and dependin on what your wantin..mayb u wanna look lean so u try and have less carbs and loads off protein..mayb u wanna bulk up so u increase things..but still keep protein up cause thats what builds your muscle..

what i was doin the day was lookin at the cals on the back off things and calculatin things and it made more sense now when i look at things..1 protien = 4 cals and 1 carb = 4 cals aswell where as the 1 fat = 9 carbs

so something with 143 cals-- it had like 25 grams off protein which makes up 100 off that and it had 6 carbs which took it to 124 and 2 gram off fat to make the rest..

This is getting interesting, i'm going to have a look tomorrow and see if i can make sense of it - cheers

i go to the gym and have been tryin to shed some belly fat off me and 10 month later i start readin how im not really losin anything.dont get is wrong ive toned up and that but knowin this 10 month ago would have helped me.heres a few pointers

Protein

Protein is an extremely important part of all diet plans. That's why you have most likely never heard of any
low protein diets, and also why you probably HAVE heard of protein supplements. That's because your body needs protein,
and lots of it. It is the building block of muscle. Protein is measured by the gram. 1 gram of protein is equal to
4 calories. So, if you are eating something that has 20 grams of protein in it, that means that whatever you are
eating is at least 80 calories. In case you failed 2nd grade math, that was 20 grams of protein multiplied by 4 calories
per gram... 20 x 4 = 80

Carbs

Carbs (or "carbohydrates" for the people who don't mind typing 8 extra letters)
is another of the three main elements that make up calories. I have a feeling that of the three,
carbs are the most confusing for people creating diet plans. I think the reason for that is because everything
you enjoy eating has carbs in it. Hell, everything you don't enjoy eating has carbs in it. Carbs are in almost
everything and therefore seem to be the hardest for people to manipulate within a diet plan. Just like protein,
1 gram of carbs is equal to 4 calories. So, if you were eating something that had 20 grams of protein and 10 grams of carbs,
you just ate at least 120 calories (20x4=80, 10x4=40, 80+40=120calories).

Fat

Unlike protein and carbs which are both 4 calories per gram, 1 gram of fat is equal to 9 calories.
So if you eat something that has 10 grams of fat in it, you just ate at least 90 calories.
This explains why high protein foods are usually low in calories, while foods high in fat are high in calories.
This is also probably the reason why there are so many fat free foods and why people on diets think fat makes them fat.
Guess what... it doesn't. That is a myth.

Fat does not make you fat. Eating too many calories makes you fat.
It just so happens that a gram of fat has more calories in it than a gram of protein or carbs.
However, the only thing that makes a person gain fat is when that person is eating more calories
than their maintenance level, and then not burning them off through working out. Whether these excess calories in your
diet plan are coming from protein, carbs or fat makes little difference.

Sometimes people on specific weight loss diet plans just try to eat less fat (or even fat free)
and think that alone will work. What they don't realize is that they are probably replacing those fat calories with calories
from protein or carbs. Yes their fat intake has become lower, but their calorie intake evens back out to what it was,
if not more. And, since you now know that it is too much calories, NOT fat, that causes fat gain, the person's weight
usually won't decrease.

that aint always true m8 . my calorie intake has increased but i watch the fat content as i am eat lots of pasta chicken rice tuna . less bread . ive lost iches of fat but bulked up

Back