Olympics... wheres the excitement gone?!

Gargamel

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is it just me or when u were a kid, didn't the Olympic Games used to have a proper buzz and some excitement around it in the build-up??

The biggest sporting event in the world (next to the World Cup) starts in under 24 hours time and there doesnt seem like theres that much interest or news coverage about it. Not compared to the build-up Euro 2008 got, or the forthcoming new footy season is getting, or even compared to the amount of coverage about KP captaining the England cricket team.

Do you think an average guy or girl on the street could even name one Team GB athlete (apart from maybe Paula Radcliffe - and she's not 100% certain to compete) and who'll be in the Olympics???

Funny how this county treats sports and its athletes aint it?!

Oh, I dont know, I think team GB has everyones support.

It could just be that China hosting it is sort of spoiling the atmosphere a bit, with its poor human rights record etc. Sort of overshadows the whole thing and goes a bit against the olympic ideals imo...

yeah perhaps ur right mate, could be that i'm just looking back thru rose-tinted specs to the old days when a lot of the GB athletes were all household names... you can guarantee if/when any of them get gold medals this year, the press and media will jump all over them and THEN they'll be the flavour of the month.

I don't feel a buzz any more neither.But lets face it, it's not as it used to be. At one time you had to be an Amateur to take part in the games. These days a lot of top sportsmen take part.It's just not the same.

How long before the world champions start entering too

I think boxing is the only sport at the olympics which is totally amateur and I dont think they have any intentions of changing that at the minute.

I agree with you though...its just not the same since all the world class players are taking part, look at the tennis or the football...ffs we have the world cup we dont need professional footballers at the olympics.

But even athletics etc are mainly professionals, I dont think they would be any good without sponsorships to be honest as they need to be full time now to have any chance of succeeding.

I agree with you though...its just not the same since all the world class players are taking part...

i agree as well. its like that time the americans won the olympic basketball gold with the 'dream team' at barcelona. and the team was basically all the best players (jordan, bird, magic etc) from the best pro league in the sport.

I think it all depends on how realistic our view of success is .In they days of Cram Ovette Coe etc ,we had world class athletes so we were geed up for the Olympics hoping we were going to see Brit guys kicking ass .Sadly recently we have been way behind in the pecking order but hey who knows i think we have a chance of finishing higher than 10th this time

31 scots there out of few hundred

i dont care about olympics but ill keep my eye for the 14 year old British Olympic diver HES THERE SO MUST BE TALENTED

they got new uniforms to cover more now

+ there too skinny and most are ugly lol

lol... dont worry mate - those clever chinese olympics organisers have also realised this and so they're having an 'official beach volleyball cheerleading squad' at all the matches (yeah really).

here's some photos 4 u...

Last edited:
Back