OBD or OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner Recommendations.

Arthur Daley

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hello guys, I would like to buy one of these wireless ODB or ODB2? scanner things which connect to your smart phone and can keep you informed of any error codes and the general health of your motor. Do you have any recommendations I can pick up from eBay? They all seem to have the code ELM327 in the title, I assume this is their chipset or something? Is it worth spending more and getting a tool that can reset codes as well as just read them, such as MaxiScan?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

buy a dealer level tool such as vcds for vag range and ids for fords or autocom is a good all rounder

Honda, but I assume most are general purpose?
I asked cuz i have an Opel(Vauxhall) and when i asked the same question i was told to get an OP-COM with is specifically for Opel vehicles.

I can't complain about it. it was only €15 and i used it to program a few keys and get the error codes.

i suggest if there is a diagnostic tool specifically for Honda you get that.

I bought a generic eBay one (cheap) & it's worked on every motor I've tried it on since (Honda, BMW, Mercedes & a golf for defo). Sometimes have to tweak some of the settings in the app (Torque app -> Settings -> OBD2 Adapter Settings) to get the ECU & ELM327 'talking' but no big deal. If they're only a couple of quid buy a cheap one first to try it?
Sure we had a similar thread on here previously o_O I'll have a look.
HH.

edit: thread i mentioned
Help regarding which OBD2 code reader to buy compatible with Torque software app
there's more info on other similar threads, just put ELM327 in the DW Search function

I have an elm 327 adapter that I bought of the bay for a tenner but I bought the wifi version as it connects better than bluetooth imo. bit Im looking to by a VAG 5054A diagnostic dongle from china to use for codes

Ive been told to buy from xcar360 website as they are reliable and the dongles are full chip versions

for vag use vcds and make sure you get a good clone if going down that route
make sure it supports all long coding

I think both are great. If you go for China purchuase both are cheap solution

anyone know of a good vcds that will do a skoda octavia 1z. any i see dont appear to be compatible

I bought a generic eBay one (cheap) & it's worked on every motor I've tried it on since (Honda, BMW, Mercedes & a golf for defo). Sometimes have to tweak some of the settings in the app (Torque app -> Settings -> OBD2 Adapter Settings) to get the ECU & ELM327 'talking' but no big deal. If they're only a couple of quid buy a cheap one first to try it?
Sure we had a similar thread on here previously o_O I'll have a look.
HH.

edit: thread i mentioned
Help regarding which OBD2 code reader to buy compatible with Torque software app
there's more info on other similar threads, just put ELM327 in the DW Search function
My ELM327 still works on any cars I've tried BUT I've got an airbag fault (looks like an airbag symbol & says "Front Left malfunction, consult workshop") on a 2019 Mercedes A Class that my wee ELM327 doesnt pick-up. Anybody recommend something that will definitely provide more info on the fault, obviously not looking to spend hundreds of pounds on a professional solution.
Cheers for any assistance,
HH.

Might you have an error code to see what it might be

It's not picking up an Error code fault shows up on dash after starting the engine but the ELM327 i have doesn't see any errors.
Photo attached (apologies for photo quality),
Cheers HH.

Attachments

• Front Left malfunction.jpg
    Front Left malfunction.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 7
check the wiring under passenger seat would be my first place to start if its a loose wire the error will reset its self

Working with cars obd11 is the best i have used for VW
BMWs have some cheap apps that have huge potential like bimmercode, the cheapest tool that supports thsi is the OBDlink range, they work with the carista app too as well as the many generic free apps out there

Back