Mobile Phones O2 scrapping unlimited data downloads for future contracts

Vodafone have dine same, clamping the unlimited to a hard cap on new contracts. I think due to alot of devices which tether now

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Is this for everybody or just people who sign up after 24.06.2010?

From the article,

All new and upgrading customers will have their usage capped at between 500 Megabytes (MB) and one gigabyte (GB) depending on their monthly tariff.

The network's cheapest tariff will cost £25 per month for two years and will allow a user to download 500MB per month. After that, it will cost £5 for every additional 500 megabytes of data consumed. The most expensive tariff - at £60 per month - allows users to download 1GB.

Existing customers will be allowed to keep their unlimited data plans until they renew their contract.

The new charges will be brought in on 24 June, to coincide with the launch of the iPhone 4.

Last edited:
They strip away your allowances every time you upgrade.

in this case i stay with my 3GS and sod upgrading

I just upgraded and had to lose my inclusive minutes rollover :(.

Yes this sucks , im not going to upgrade to the iphone 4 for free as will be losing too much . no unlimited data , -300 mins on the same price tariff , lose roaming text where each text sent abroad counted as 4 from your 500 allowance same applies to picture messaging . Will have to wait and see what price there gonna charge for the phone .

The level set for the MB usuage has just been brought into line with other providers. 500mb is the general rule of thumb that other proviers use. So its not hat much of a shock that they have dropped it to this level.

Its a common marketing practice, they offer you a great deal to tempt you, once into contract, then they strip away the benefits you signed up for slowly.

500mb isnt that much, you could hit that by daily browsing on the phone :(

All though i didnt relised they only started doing this, i though they were doing this for ages.

The BBC report didn't but you can check the O2 website if you want.

The BBC report didn't but you can check the O2 website if you want.

Did that already (I ain't that lazy...lol) but theres no change on either the payg or the pay monthly tariffs, I guess they are not changing them until 24th.
Just thought someone here may know the answer.

That would make sense with unlimited wi-fi. That could be your house or a hotspot that you pay seperately for and therefore not costing O2 anything. O2 carried traffic (3G) would be restricted.

That would make sense with unlimited wi-fi. That could be your house or a hotspot that you pay seperately for and therefore not costing O2 anything. O2 carried traffic (3G) would be restricted.

Sorry my mistake...it is unlimited internet browsing (not wifi). Its in the link I posted, so I guess it means 3g

i mean c`mon, when has `unlimited` meant `unlimited` as nyways? How the fook they havent been sue`d or whatever over this already i dont know.

end of the day, this cuntry is ripped from start to finish.

What if i purchase it from the apple shop then cut down my current 02 sim to fit into the iphone. I currently get unlim Tex and Net and 1200 minutes. Can they cancel or change my contract cuz im using the iphone????

500mb isnt that much, you could hit that by daily browsing on the phone.

Thats over 16Meg of data per day !

With the average website only generating about 50k per page (mobile optimised sites far less) then that would allow you about 300 pages per day. That sounds like quite a lot to me. Even on a desktop PC i'd be lucky to hit that !

Where you will quickly hit the limit is downloading media files. Reasonable quality phone video can require 75k per second (600kbits) so your only going to get somewhere around 200 secs (2.5 mins) of video before your daily allotment is gone.

Back