o/s probs

bigt

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,
just got new hd & installed o.k
am running gen win xp home ed + sp2.
have had probs with start up & formatted twice.
prob is on start up pc either boots up 2-3 times or not at all,
also only opens in start windows normal screen.
have removed all recient hard & software as advised but cant cure problem.
all help gratefully recieved.

Is the 'new' drive you've installed your system drive? (ie OS is on that disc..). Do you get any errors on boot? Or does the system just sit there, at what point in the process..?
Is your new drive ide?? or SATA?

do you have usb ports. could be a fault in the drivers. any blue screen sayin dumping memory b4 restart?

lone.gunman said:
Is the 'new' drive you've installed your system drive? (ie OS is on that disc..). Do you get any errors on boot? Or does the system just sit there, at what point in the process..?
Is your new drive ide?? or SATA?
many thanx 4 replying,
the new drive has the o/s loaded,
there are no errors on boot just loads twice the goes 2 start windows normal,
last known good config ect screen.choosing either then loads o.k.
sorry i dont understand ide or sata so cant say.

have got usbs but but nil connected,
no messages re dumpin memory no messages at all b4 restart

is the a second drive or primary.. if primary reformat ntsc file system
reload xp

remember to partition it first using ya xp disc
good luck

Hmmm...
Have you left your old drive installed? Have you got your mobo drivers installed correctly..? When it fails to boot what happens??

IDE (or PATA Parallel ATA) - long term standard for connecting devices like HDD's. uses flat ribbon cable @2" wide.
SATA (Serial ATA) - new interface, uses thin flat cable (like two core).

Hi again,
have removed orig hd,
new one is ide (wide cable)
2 things occur when it hangs 1 it just stays blank, 2 gets as far as windows loading scrn the nothing blue loading bar just keeps going.
im teck challenged dont know what mobo drivers are
its a primary drive and formatted ntsc, have reformatted twice & reloaded xp but no difference.
When it finally starts in start windows normal scrn all works ok.
have run norton sys works to check for errors but comes up clean am now going bald thro pulling my hair out

Right, when you installed XP, have you installed the chipset drivers for your motherboard? (ie the disk that came with your mobo?), or are you justr running the install, then using system?. I would hazard that you've got a driver problem somewhere...

Many thakx to all who helped me resolve hte prob. now have a trouble free system again.
extra thanx to Lone Gunman who pointed me in the right direction, yes it was the drivers on my M/B.
Without the help i recieved i would have never resolved it.
Cheers have a good Xmas.: santahat

Back