NVOD - ALL Channels

srooth

Inactive User
Reaction score
anybody - as all the front row channels have been carried over to NVOD. will NTHell do the same for the rest of the channels. Also could they package the NTL packages - i.e sports, entertainment, ect. to come down as NVOD.

they could do that

but i dont think so as they are about making money but getting customers and the tv packs are a good selling point for them to get the customers

even now so many people just go for the broadband and not the tv so things will change in the future

cheers

They can't do live events like Sports on VOD, and Sky probably wouldn't let them anyway, as VOD is seen as a major selling point for cable compared to Sky+. Individual rights would also have to be negotiated with all the different channels to allow them to go VOD, so while it's theoretically possible, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

The CCs would also be concerned that an all-VOD line-up would lose them money in the end. Like Gav said, at the moment they are designing and pricing their packages for maximum profit. If people only paid for what they watched, chances are they would be paying a lot less than their current monthly subscription. That's just a few reasons why you won't see all-VOD anytime soon.

I don't think the channels would let it happen as ITV for example would lose advertising revenue if you could demand programs and fastfoward through their adverts.

de_deej

isnt NVOD and VOD differnet?
as in NVOD (nearly video on demand) just means u got 2 channels or more showing the same thing but at different times (i.e. filmfour & filmfour +1) and front row (chwoing the same movie on 2 channels with differnet start times mostly about 40min difference)
and VOD is propper "request a movie" watch it. paus/play/rewind it ...
or am i wrong?

cooltool said:
isnt NVOD and VOD differnet?
as in NVOD (nearly video on demand) just means u got 2 channels or more showing the same thing but at different times (i.e. filmfour & filmfour +1) and front row (chwoing the same movie on 2 channels with differnet start times mostly about 40min difference)
and VOD is propper "request a movie" watch it. paus/play/rewind it ...
or am i wrong?

Yes you're right... its common for people to get the two confused :)
Liam.

so in theory they could go NVOD .. but it would depend on the channels if they want to carry the extra cost of running a 2nd or 3rd .. channel on the CC cable network. and not the CC they would be happy to do it ;) if the network can handel it ..

I would love it if all channels went NVOD... unknown to some, you CAN watch nvod channels.... some images have a "yellow" button that you press to choose the stream - most newer images have removed this function, but the programmes are still accessible from the web interface.

Just to clear this up, and to avoid confusing people.... NVOD and VOD are two entirely different things.

Liam.

señor ding dong said:
They can't do live events like Sports on VOD,

Yes, they can !

Trials are being run on a system that allows live events to go out on combination broadcast and vod streams.

Normally, you would follow the broadcast stream but if you decide to diverge from the broadcast stream, by doing something like an instant replay or just pausing for a minute or two then you get seamlessly transferred to your own vod stream. You then stay with that vod stream until you fast forward to catch up with the live action.

Sky's objections would be irrelevant for anything but sky sourced channels. Any other channel would be free to use such technology.

nozzer said:
Yes, they can !

Trials are being run on a system that allows live events to go out on combination broadcast and vod streams.

Normally, you would follow the broadcast stream but if you decide to diverge from the broadcast stream, by doing something like an instant replay or just pausing for a minute or two then you get seamlessly transferred to your own vod stream. You then stay with that vod stream until you fast forward to catch up with the live action.
OK, that's news to me. I just remember a VOD interview from some time ago where NTL said sports and live events were out of the question with their current system, so I suspect that will be the case for a while.

nozzer said:
Sky's objections would be irrelevant for anything but sky sourced channels. Any other channel would be free to use such technology.
Sure, but Sky's channels do count for a lot with most viewers.

señor ding dong said:
Sure, but Sky's channels do count for a lot with most viewers.

True, but with the football being broken up a bit we can only hope that Sky's influence decreases. Having them dictate how cable works just cos they can't compete with it doesn't really make good business sense !

Back