Null Modem Cable

harveybham

Inactive User
Reaction score
just a quick question where on the computer does the Null Modem Cable go on to ?

sorry about that lolz i just asked myself the same question ! well im reading through your guide liam on dbox for dummies and you suggest to use a null modem cable and i was like what on earth is that but now i have searched over the net and reliased it goes in the dbox serial port and then pc serial port thanks anyway mate for you help

Just to point out something,
Using Liams tut, I was having a lot of trouble with IFA.
I eventually invested in a Null Modem Cable (as suggested by Liam), using the cable, my box flashed first time!!
:Cheers:

i must have been lucky or i just listened to liam and gav12345 but i have never used a null modem cable (even though i bought one)and i have flashed boxes first time i have even done it to my mates you just have to take your time when connecting power supply as liam says there is no rush but of course it does not work for everyone and if you invest in a cable then give it a try and if all fails feel free to ask there is allways great advice on here cheers to everone :thnks:

i have a null modem for the eurovox 2 will it work on the dbox if i were to use IFA its from maplin its called 9 way null modem f-f code VD76 thanks

A null modem cable is rather helpful as IFA will tell you exactly what its doing during the flash process. Its also alot faster to flash a box than just using a crossover cable on its own.

@lombard
Should be fine mate.

@slam2k5
... and would also like to add that using a null modem cable gives you a greater chance of success when using IFA. Dont believe it when you are told that the null modem cable doesnt do anything apart from show you on screen whats happening. I now have proof that PACKETS are sent down the cable to TELL the box to 100% attempt to boot from the PC.

Contrary to popular belief, the box doesnt ALWAYS attempt to boot from TFTP/network... in most cases it does but sometimes it just doesnt feel like it. A null modem cable prevents this by sending controlling packets down the line.

Liam

Without null modem cable the bootloader send exactly one bootp request via the network.
With null modem cable IFA take control over the bootloader via null modem cable and try 10 times to send a bootp request.

Thanks for clearing that up MGB; I was hoping you would reply :)
Liam

Back