ntl modem

abcd

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have a problem connecting to the internet. it was all going ok until 1 day it wudnt let me connect to the internet. an ip of sumthin like 192..... was cuming up.

i previously had this problem due to a virus but sum1 fixed it but this time i cudnt so i uninstalled windows xp.
i put on windows me and ntl works fine.
i tried putting xp back on and installing modem again but it says unable to connect to DHCP.

i have tried running anti virus and malware but nuthing helps. any ideas???

an IP adress of 192.168.x.x is fine, but you can get your pc to assign your ip address automatically in network settings.

Last edited:
how do u do this? the useless nthell support said that sumthing was preventing the ip address to being automatically set and that there was nothing that they could do and it was sumthig to do with the pc.

hi mate

go into control panel then click on network connections, if you have more than one item shown right click on the one you use for your internet, and then goto properties.

On that screen in generals tab you will see something like internet protocol(TCP/IP) double click on that and make sure you put a little circle in obtain ip address automatically and obtain DNS server automatically and click ok, that should find you ip as said automatically

if not mate also try this click start, then run in the box type cmd and hit ok, now in there type ipconfig/release and hit enter, screen should come up with some details and next a few 0's

then type in ipconfig/renew and hopefully then mate you should be greeted to where you had some 0,s some nice numbers like 81....... and 255......... then it should have found you ip address mate

This happened to my mum within the last week. An engineer had to come out and found there was a problem with the ntl box outside our house where her cable comes into the house.
I tried all manner of things first before we called ntl, but there was nothing I could do.
Give them a ring, make them work for their money.

Back