ntl digy new software update ???

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed thier box getting a new software update or summit from ntl ????

My box keeps getting stuck on tune, I then pull the red jumper etc, then boot the box back up, its works fine until i put it on standby, then after a short time it gets stuck on tune again.

ive noticed that after pulling the jumper etc and booting the box back up, i get an ntl message onscreen saying summit like "please wait a minute, we are updating the box", thats why i suspect there is some kind of update trying to install and keeps kicking my box into stuck on tune.

its got stuck on tune in the past when ntl have sent updates, its as if the box signal cant handle the updates or summit, so what i do is one of 3 things to get it going, either connect the box directly to cable feed from wall socket without splitters etc or pull the red jumper or if none of those things work i take it to my da's house and plug it onto his cable feed, then it takes the update no problem, bring it back home, plug it in, and hey presto, it works fine (until the next update).

sooo, now the way things are looking iam going to have to leave the box switched on permanently (not standby) cause when i leave it on standby it go's to stuck on tune for some weird reason :(

anyone any ideas ?

What box it it m8, sounds like a 4001 i had the same problem with mine changed the CIM and it took the updates ok, If it is a 4001 leaving it on 24/7 might cause it to run hot and they dont like it, you might burn it out after a while.

L33tpL4y4 said:
What box it it m8, sounds like a 4001 i had the same problem with mine changed the CIM and it took the updates ok, If it is a 4001 leaving it on 24/7 might cause it to run hot and they dont like it, you might burn it out after a while.

Yea , its a 4001 mate.

you mention the sim, is this card the card thats just behind the display panel inside the box, it simply just clicks in place like adding some ram to a computer ??? approx 4 inch long x 1.5 inch wide, is that the sim ???

i tried to look for a picture of it on the site but i cant see a pic anywhere.

Hi thomson

what box have you got, and is it not just the no update mod dun on it?,and what’s your CR software on the box , just in case it is that?

Cheers Garry

thomson said:
Yea , its a 4001 mate.
you mention the sim, is this card the card thats just behind the display panel inside the box, it simply just clicks in place like adding some ram to a computer ??? approx 4 inch long x 1.5 inch wide, is that the sim ???

no m8, its the unit which talkback is cut, the one your cable feed is pluged into.

garrytate said:
Hi thomson

what box have you got, and is it not just the no update mod dun on it?,and what’s your CR software on the box , just in case it is that?

Cheers Garry

its a 4001 mate, i dunno about the no update mod and i dunno about the cr software, how can i tell ???? (bare in mind this box has been working fine for a couple of years accept when updates try and install as i said).

thomson said:
Yea , its a 4001 mate.

yer m8 , how meny chips you got on the simm 2 or 4

now you guys are confusing me, one of you says that aint the sim and one says that is the sim (the card behind the display panel)

i have a 1000 box , the same setup you have 4001, but all i know is if you have 2 chips on the simm, your box will not update , and if it had 4 chips on it , it would should be ok.

Cheers Garry

garrytate said:
i have a 1000 box , the same setup you have 4001, but all i know is if you have 2 chips on the simm, your box will not update , and if it had 4 chips on it , it would should be ok.

Cheers Garry

but it updates if i take it to my da's and stick it on his cable feed for some reason, thats what ive done in the past ?

edit :> its weird how it seems to stay on ok when the box is left switched on and not on standby ???

sounds like your battery is not keeping its charge ???

@thomson:

CIM = Cable Interface Module (the can with the f connector on the back)
SIMM = Single Inline Memory Module (the card that looks similar to memory in your computer)

thomson said:
but it updates if i take it to my da's and stick it on his cable feed for some reason, thats what ive done in the past ?
edit :> its weird how it seems to stay on ok when the box is left switched on and not on standby ???

sounds like a low signal level on your c/feed to me thommo, {get yourself an ariel signal booster}

Hi
I agree with benny
If it was the battery in eng menu
Pin no. would be reset
What is the signal in dvb-rc downstream screen(page 10)
Should be 22db or more:grab:

ohh man :( it was working ok from last night cause i left it switched on a channel.

now tonight i switched it onto standby for a bit to see what it would do, then it stuck on tune again :(

so while i was inside the box pulling the jumper to get it working again, i wanted to take note of the battery model incase it was the battery like someone else suggested, i had to prize it up with screwdriver as it appeared to be stuck and i couldnt see the model number, anyway, it seems like the battery is soldered on at one end, but now when i press it back into place at the other end it doesnt seem like its making a very tight connection, i think it is ok though, not 2 sure.

Anyway, now iam not getting anything, when i power up it instantly says "err 1" in the display panel, i tried fiddling with the battery again but still get "err 1", it never used to do this before, only since i touched the poxy battery :(

p.s
i cant even get engineers menu, it just go's straight onto err 1

its too late, ive lost my temper with it, punched feck out the box (broke my hand by the looks of it), then through it right out the door, its mangled now and in 20 pieces.

got old analog box on now with the "cube", not loads of channels like digital but still a lot for free, need to do me for now until i get another box, iam in the glasgow area if anyone can help me with that.

Back