NTL Connection

hughesy48

Inactive User
Reaction score
i am a newbie to all this well since on digital went!! so apologies if i'm posting this in wrong forum.

I got my Da a ch****d ntl box with au card, i phoned ntl to cancel his subscription at the beginning of this month, he had the full package. NTL advised that he would have to phone back in 30 days to confirm he wanted to cancel subscription.He is just keeping the phone line and doesn't have broadband.

Can anyone out there advise if he needs to keep the basic tv package in order for au card to work for all other channels eg sky sports etc or can he cancel all tv packages.

:xmas:

i've havent had any N*L service (tv or fone) in my house for 7 years and have had free tv the whole time - I even upgraded myself from analogue to digital!

though on two occassions my connection was cut off from the big green box outside.

Luckily enough i have access to a key for them boxes and I just patched myself up again.

but by paying for the minimum package you are keeping yourself right!

Last edited:
cric2k

Cheers for response, he lives in a multi story block which is 13 high. I know what your saying about cutting him off from box outside but do you think it would happen giving the type of flat he lives in?

I am trying to save him as much money as possible just now given that he shelled out £150 for box and card and that it may go any time!!!

What you think?

One more thing he and my brother pressed the red button on the remote to buy the ricky hatton fight on sat night, is there any way they can trace it back to him?

Should i put in original box when i phone ntl to confirm cancellation?

Regards

getting rid of sub will not effect the au card but as cric2k said it is worth keeping a basic package going for a couple of reasons
1 if you ever have probs with your signal ie strenth ect. you can plug your subbed box back in and phone nthell up and get them to fix it (normally in 5-10 working months lol)
2 If everyone stops paying nthell they wont have the funds to keep suppling us with free tv!! :)

The ricky hatton fight will be fine, your box should be modified so that it can't send signals back to NTL.
I'm not sure about flats but I'd say theirs a good chance he'll get away with it (i know many people who do).

£150 is a rip off for a box and card. As i said in another post I just bought an unchipped box and card today on ebay for 30 quid. you could buy all the equipment you'll ever need to program your own cards and still have quite a bit of change from the remaining £120

ntl will come around to collect their stuff - you would be wise to keep the box you bought easily hidable should the door ring

Have your subbed box in a bag waiting beside the door and as soon as he comes hand it to him and don't let him snoop around (i've seen a case where the engineer took the splitter from the little grey box with him!)

Cheers again for response mad/Cric2k

I will think about taking basic package to be on safe side!!

Can you confirm a couple of things for me please:

1) Should i put in original box when i phone ntl to confirm cancellation?

2) My da has had subscription for over 3 years, will they still come round to collect????

3) on average how long does au cards last?

Cheers

Hughesy

1. NTL can't tell you've got a chipped box unless you let them in and they see it. You've every right to tell them they ain't getting in and hand them their stuff in a bag

2. They probably will. You could always tell the engineer that someone already called to your door and collected the equipment - you'd be suprised how often that has worked for people I know

3. how long is a piece of string? I'm basically teaching myself now the ins and outs of programming my own cards. It's suprisingly easy and cheap to do (i've only spent £35 quid so far on a phoenix usb programmer), it means you don't have to rely on a local del boy and also there is a great community here who are willing to help and teach you everything you need.

Cheers Cric2k once again for response.

I will probably take basic package to be on safe side so that they don't come calling!!

I may look into programming side of things myself as i used to be able to chip ondigtal cards so i hope principal is roughly the same and of course it will save my old boy in the future if and when his card goes down.

Its just a pity i don't live in a cable area and am lumbered with Sky TV at full package.

Please please subscribe to min package

cric2k said:
The ricky hatton fight will be fine, your box should be modified so that it can't send signals back to NTL.
I'm not sure about flats but I'd say theirs a good chance he'll get away with it (i know many people who do).

£150 is a rip off for a box and card. As i said in another post I just bought an unchipped box and card today on ebay for 30 quid. you could buy all the equipment you'll ever need to program your own cards and still have quite a bit of change from the remaining £120

ntl will come around to collect their stuff - you would be wise to keep the box you bought easily hidable should the door ring

Have your subbed box in a bag waiting beside the door and as soon as he comes hand it to him and don't let him snoop around (i've seen a case where the engineer took the splitter from the little grey box with him!)

You need to subscribe to minimum ntl package, cos if you don't you will and all that don't subscribe will eventually kill your main supplier...My assumption is that the min package alllows C.C's to make a profit, anyone who pays above this is additional profit.. which may/maynot give prolonged/ better digi tv,, but, if everyone who has free tv with no payment to the provider..Ah well no more free TV..

no problem man - a lot of people on here have helped me out over the last week and im glad to give something back.

If your da has an original NTL card which has been modified (nicknamed MOSC) then he's a good chance of staying on for ages.

I've heard uncomfirmed rumours that NTL currently can't do anything about these because if they try to turn them off they will turn off legitimate customers too.

I'm trying to teach myself this stuff because I know literally dozens of people with chipped boxes and I'm sick of being the friendly middleman and having to run to my local dealers everytime theirs a problem with a friends card.

Cheers for your help cric2k

I'm unsure if my old boy has got a mosc but what i can tell you is about 6 of my mates who have ntl digital chipped cards/boxes (not purchased from same local del boy) went down a week on friday ago and my old boys is still fine and dandy!!

aye its the same here - i got the inlaws and my granda etc torturing me to get their titanium cards fixed.

I've made them up a load of funcards - these are extremely easy to make but they turn off every week.

I'm waiting (in vain maybe) for a fix for titanium2s before I start telling people they gotta fork out for new opos or mosc cards (which themselves might not last much longer)

Back